Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 PM

Default position preflop vs. after flop

I was recently told by a friend that I bluff too much preflop from out of position. I'm sure this is true. I have a hard time deciding how to treat a good-to-marginal hand preflop from, say, under the gun. Obviously I have the worst position to start off with, but in a six-player game, I'm not looking too bad after the flop. Should I more or less ignore the position change after the flop, and bet as if my position now is what it's going to be the entire hand? Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: position preflop vs. after flop

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that because the blinds act before you once the flop is dealt you consider your position to have improved. Although I see your point I don't agree that your situation is any better.

You shouldn't be as concerned with the blind players as you are with what can happen after you play (and by that I mean what the players in later position do). As long as there's someone acting after you, you should consider yourself out of position and play accordingly.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: position preflop vs. after flop

[ QUOTE ]
I was recently told by a friend that I bluff too much preflop from out of position. I'm sure this is true. I have a hard time deciding how to treat a good-to-marginal hand preflop from, say, under the gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you be more specific? Some people call T7s "good-to-marginal".

[ QUOTE ]
but in a six-player game, I'm not looking too bad after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You still have as many as three players behind you postflop.

If you raise PF UTG, someone calls behind you and both blinds fold (or even if one or both calls). You're still OOP throughout the entire hand. And on a loose table you will get calls behind you.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I more or less ignore the position change after the flop, and bet as if my position now is what it's going to be the entire hand? Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

You cannot predict preflop what your position will be relative to other callers after the flop unless you already have position preflop.

What happens if you get two callers behind you? What happens if button 3-bets?