Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Default has this ever happened to you?

Has it ever happened where you try and play the best possible poker, yet people still suck out on you. I know that being lucky plays a big part in poker, but how big of a part does being "unlucky" play?

I'm so depressed right now cuz it seems like people are keep hitting their open ended straight draws against me, or catching their 3 outer to give them a boat...

i feel so SICK.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: has this ever happened to you?

Yes, bad beats happen to all of us. Poker mixes elements of skill and luck. Over the long run the "luck part" evens out. Your job is to make sure you have the "skill part" under control.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has it ever happened where you try and play the best possible poker, yet people still suck out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. Wait'll you lose with quads for the first time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Not that I'm trying to mock you or your post, just saying...you're going to be outdrawn on, repeatedly, over time. As long as you truly are playing good poker & making correct decisions, you'll come out ahead in the long run.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Yes, it has happened to everybody.

Although, you might not actually be playing as perfectly as you think you do. A long streak of "bad luck" is often a symptom of bad play.

Nevertheless, if you feel sick after a run of truely bad beats, then you probably aren't adequately bankrolled for the level you are playing.

Over time, with enough money, if you are getting your money in as a 70% favorite, you will end up winning about 70% of the time despite a few runs of losing "many" times in a row. Good and bad "streaks" are just part of normal variance, as long as the game you are playing in is a fair one. If you keep making more "correct" decisions versus your opponents, especially for big pots, then eventually you will make money as long as you have enough bankroll to avoid going broke in a downswing.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM

OP--Always remember that when you're playing proper poker, you will get sucked out on more often than you will get lucky and suck out yourself.

That's beause you'll be entering more hands ahead.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has it ever happened where you try and play the best possible poker, yet people still suck out on you. I know that being lucky plays a big part in poker, but how big of a part does being "unlucky" play?

I'm so depressed right now cuz it seems like people are keep hitting their open ended straight draws against me, or catching their 3 outer to give them a boat...

i feel so SICK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me. I too know your pain.

It's times like these I'd like to pimp slap the Donkeys & then skull-[censored] them.

/I got better. Beer helped. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 03:19 PM

What really helped me deal with bad beats is really learning the odds. It is rare to be dominantly ahead of your opponent - for instance knowing that a set will beat a flush post-flop by the river about a third of the time makes it easier for me to stomach when it happens. As will the open-ended straight draw that you complained about. When people hit two outers on the river THAT hurts, but I take comfort in knowing that I got them to put their money at risk when they were way behind, they were rewarded for their mistake, and hopefully they will keep making mistakes, ultimately to my benefit.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.