Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour Upcoming Events & they\'re coming 2 Denver

Went up last night about 7.30pm. Every table but the one near the bathrooms was full.

Word from one of the guys working the floor is that they will likely fill the qualifiers on Saturday. Much busier than they anticipated.

I played two $75's last night and each wait was over an hour. The first game, I had aces cracked on the river; on the second game I did it to someone else!

I got my qualifier on the second game.

Of the 10 people playing the second game, five were good players. Two were obv. dead money from the start. Another two had some idea of what they were doing (eg. not limping in every hand), and then we had the obligatory folder who blinded himself out until he got A10 to my AK.

There was a fair amount of shoving with any pocket pair. Also, if you can identify the timid players, you can steal some nice pots.

One hand I min. raised the BB, who only had 800. Blinds were 50-100. She calls. Flop is rags with a queen. Action: check/bet 400/call. Turn another rag. She checks, I bet 200 (to put her all in) she folds.

Another hand (I'm big stack still). I raise, dude to my right calls. Flop is jack with rags. I make continuation bet, he min. raises, I call. Turn check/check. River is a 5, giving straight if you have A3 (not likely). I shove with nothing. He twists his face, bluffs a muck to get a reaction from me. When he gets nothing, he folds. I owned him for the rest of the game.

When we got down to three players and the blinds were 500-1000, the player on my right started shoving every time he was in the small blind and the button had folded (most hands), the strategy was very effective. I had to attack the guy on my left because he was timid at this point and he would only play BB.

My biggest error was three-handed. I decided to limp for once with my pocket 4's, and the dude passed me on the flop.

Aggression is key to this game. Avoid limping!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

14 tables, times 11 handed, times 2 ME flights times 9 sessions for the ($340) Qualifiers = total Qalifier seats (for all 9 $340 Qualifer sessions): 1386

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, My math was wrong here, but I came out with the right (Total) number anyway somehow.

14 tables, times 11 handed, times 9 sessions for the ($340) Qualifiers = total Qalifier seats (for all 9 $340 Qualifer sessions): 1386 Seats for all 9 qualifiers combined.

308 seats total for the ME (14 tables times 11 handed times 2 flights), means that if you divide 308 by 9 Qaulifiers, you get the top 34 players from each ($340) qualifier who will advance to the ME (roughly about 20 percent of each ($340) Qualifier field).
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info DB! I think I will head up there again tonight, and buy into a couple more of the ($340) Qualifiers just to be safe.

While I'm there, I might try just one more $75 Sit and Go.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 PM

Cincy,

I am headed up there as well - I will see if my "reading" ability is good enough to spot you!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you do buy directly into a ($340) Qualifier, just be sure to INSIST you get a receipt when you pay for your seat, otherwise you have NO proof that you bought directly into the ($340) Qualifier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this an issue? I mean I can't imagine taking tournament buy-in without issuing a receipt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is indeed an issue. I had to BEG for a receipt, and even then, the best they could give me was a hand written one, signed by the guy who took my money.

They seem shocked in the first place, that I'd even WANT to buy directly into the ($340) Qualifier, and not win my way in via the sit and goes. So, they were totally unprepared for me (or anyone who was) wanting to buy directly in.

I told them if colorado law allowed for it, I would of actually bought in for the full amount that the HPT normally charges (normally about $1650 with the juice) directly into the ME, which drew even MORE shocked looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you get there early. I don't think they would try to cheat you, but if they weren't prepared to hand out receipts they might not have been prepared to enter you in the touranment.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
??? What subtle hint?The qualifiers haven't even started yet so no one has a main event seat yet.I was just saying that I'm playing multiple qualifiers so I may end up with extra seats.That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, let's go this route. If anyone ends up with an extra seat they can post it in this thread once and ask anyone interested to PM them.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Well, I went up there again last night, and DogBoy is right, I was told there will be no more sit and goes by the end of this weekend at best.

After that, people will have to get their seats from those who have (already) won their seats into the qualifiers via this week sit and goes.

I was also informed that there are even some people that have 20 or more Certificates!

This will IMO, lead to a 'scalpers' type of inviroment come next week.

I was also told that if you win the certs for the Qualifiers, that if you have 5 of them, you can go directly into the ME (IE: Trade 5 certs for a ME seat) if you so choose.

Here is a pic of what the room looked like last night:

I also got a chance to meet DanielleRB as well (who had just finished up winning a Cert for her seat to a $340 Qualifier), and here is a pic (not the best pic mind you) of her and me (she's on the left, I'm the one on the right with a dealers cap on):

FYI, I also went ahead and bought in for 2 more ($340) Qualifiers, bringing my total to 3.

I will be playing on:

Sunday, Monday and Thursday, at 6:30 pm.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was also told that if you win the certs for the Qualifiers, that if you have 5 of them, you can go directly into the ME (IE: Trade 5 certs for a ME seat) if you so choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard people talking about this as well and wanted to know if anyone could clarify it. A couple of players were telling me that you could either win 5 satellites or buy in to 5 qualifiers and automatically be entered into the Main event. But I didn't hear from anyone official, so I didn't know if it was just a rumor. (Plus, lots of things the staff at the Gates have said prior to the event have turned out to be just plain wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

How does that get around the whole "can't directly buy into the Main event, due to Colorado Gaming law" thing? Some kind of loophole? Or just a crazy rumor to add to the growing hysteria?

Also, if people do that, would that mean the qualifiers would have to play down farther than 20% because people have already grandfatherer in by purchasing or winning 5 qualifier seats?

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems a little strange?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM

No, that's not (totally) true.

You can WIN 5 qualifiers and use those Certificates to buy directly into the Main Event.

However, you can NOT buy into 5 Qualifers and then trade those receipts for a direct buy in to the ME.

How the Certs though get around the law, is that at most they are officially 'valued' at $75, which is the cost of the (higher priced) Sit and Go.

As such, $75 times 5 = $375, which is under the $500 max buy in for a tournament.

BTW, one other thing, for the ME, they are only paying the top 30, which is LESS than 10 percent of the total field of 308 players.

Edit: One other thing, you can also buy the Certs of the Qualifiers off of people who've won sit and goes, and get into the ME that way as well.

However, most people I saw there who had the certs were leaning more towards playing in the Qualfiers and then selling extra seats to the ME after they won those, since they could most likely get around $1500 at least for them (each).
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM

I was planning to play the SnGs, but can't get up there until Sunday. Is it even worth it. Should i call before i head up? I don't plan on buying into the $340 qualifier.