Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Pot the flop, or wait for turn?

Weekly 2/5 PLO8. I post the BB, and after several limpers, the button raises to $15. He is not a particularly good player, either pre or post-flop. I call, perhaps not smartly so, with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Seven players take the flop.

Board come as T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I know this flop will be bet in at least one spot, so I check. One good player bets $30, gets two callers, including the button.

My thoughts as this point: most likely no one else has the nut straight. Possibly, someone has lower straight, 2 pair or set. Definately 2 or 3 low draws, and better low draws than mine. Also, someone probably has a better flush draw than I do.

Since I have two clubs my self, and the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] makes a straight flush, I figure I have a little bit of a block on a flush draw, and hope to either take the pot down now, or get heads up against a player where either I'm freerolling, or at least good with my low draw. So, I pot for rougly $210 more.

Somewhat surprisingly, I get two callers. Doh! The board pairs the T on the turn, and I decided to just move my last $240 into the pot. Again, two callers. River is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and I scoop.

So, back to the title of the post. Normally, I like to wait for a turn card in this situation before getting deep into the pot. I'm looking for opinions, so, sound away!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Pot the flop, or wait for turn?

I think I would have led out for the pot. You are more likely to take it down that way. Also, if it gets raised behind me, I'm happy to get it all in because it's probably not going to be multi-way, and I like your hand much better heads up than I do against 5 players. I am not looking to trap multiple players with a check-raise. This hand is too vulnerable.

An alternative is to check-call the flop and see if you get safe turn card. A problem with this is that, if a low hits, you could get free rolled by a better flush draw, higher straight draw, two pair, two spades (if the turn is a spade), etc. And you're probably not going to fold to a low turn that doesn't make a better high. Another problem is that by check-calling, you are not doing anything to improve your A-5 low. By leading, you could fold out naked A-3, A-4 hands, and then on a blank/counterfeit turn you could be in good shape to get rid of A-2s. And another problem is that there really are very few safe cards for you in a multi-way pot.

On first blush, Bet pot > check/call > check-raise, in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM

He had two callers after c-raising pot to 210, you think he was more likely to take down pot here by leading out instead? I disagree.

I don't mind the line on the flop, but if the tight player was one of your callers, I'm not sure of your line on 4th. What would you have done if you had more bank than 240 left? It's a risky lead out.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Most of the reasons you listed as your preferences are the same reasons I played it as it went.
With this group, if I lead, there is NO WAY I get anyone with A2 out for $100. I thought someone would bet, and a check raise would be for around $220, which could get a better low draw to fold.
As it was, the two hands that called were A3, with nut flush draw, and A23, with no draw.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had two callers after c-raising pot to 210, you think he was more likely to take down pot here by leading out instead? I disagree.

I don't mind the line on the flop, but if the tight player was one of your callers, I'm not sure of your line on 4th. What would you have done if you had more bank than 240 left? It's a risky lead out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had started the hand with $1050 instead of $550, I would most likely have played the flop and turn differently.
As it was, I got half my stack in on the flop. The other half was following it on the turn.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM

post deleted

The $550 was not in your OP, was it? I thought it said you had a lot more.