Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Float against habitual 3better

Well this hand was from one of my NL400 shots the other day. The villain (InverseParanoid) is a TAG leaning heavily towards the side of aggressive. he's 24/16/4 and has been 3 betting my CO and BTN opens fairly liberally. I'd seen him show down KQs 55 and a mid suited connector when he'd 3bet, so his range is extremely wide. I know A2s is a pretty poor hand to call with here, but I was getting frustrated and felt like the Ace was way ahead of his range.

Ignoring that PF was probably a mistake, hows the play on the flop and turn? Obviously the plan was to float and take it away later if the board texture was favourable. Good or bad idea? The turn was about as good as I could ask for, giving me a gutshot and a FD. I'm basically representing a hand like KQ a set or air with the turn bet I think.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $400.00
BB: $394.50
UTG: $406.00
MP: $960.10
CO: $306.00
Hero (BTN): $491.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $14.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $54.00</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $40.00

Flop: ($112) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $76.00</font>, Hero calls $76.00

Turn: ($264) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $361.40</font>,
Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Float against habitual 3better

Fold PF.

As played, I'd take the free card on the turn and if river was a club it'd make your outsized reraise/shove look awfully like a bluff which is just great.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know A2s is a pretty poor hand to call with here, but I was getting frustrated and felt like the Ace was way ahead of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even against a very wide range A2s doens't even have 40% eq.

Other than that I kinda like this. Your image is important but if you have a decent image and villain needs to give you credit for a king or at least QQ/JJ when you call the flop so he's going to check/fold the turn often given that his range seems to include any PP and a lot of Ax.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 AM

If you're going to shove, why not do it on the flop?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold PF.

As played, I'd take the free card on the turn and if river was a club it'd make your outsized reraise/shove look awfully like a bluff which is just great.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's basically a psb, calling the flop with the intention of checking the turn is an awfull mistake. And on the turn he'll fold tons of Ax/PPs to the push.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM

fold preflop, I prefer raising to ~180 and folding to a push on the flop more than floating. as played, turn is close leaning towards checking.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer raising to ~180 and folding to a push on the flop more than folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

nm misread
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM

If you had kq here are you really betting the turn this hard? i think most would check behind on the turn for pot control, so all your repping is a badly played set. If someone is 3 betting lite outta the blinds a lot 4 bet or fold. Given this guys range i dont mind a 4 bet, depends on his tendencies to getting it in pre.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to shove, why not do it on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
By calling the flop and pushing the turn if he checks we'll probably get away most often when he has a big hand and our bluff will be aimed vs a weaker range. If villain is capable of bluffpushing the turn then we have a problem, but heros flop call should look strong enough for a decent player to slow down.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM

push or fold pf. chk turn all day and wait till river to bluff or hit ur hand. you rep such a narrow range here by shoving the turn whereas you can rep KJ+, set, QQ even by betting the river if chk'd to.

i wouldn't fold much to ur turn bet honestly.