Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Michael Clayton

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be the dissenting voice (of reason!) then: I liked it, it kept me engaged start to finish, appreciated the film-making a lot, but it didn't blow me away. Not much of a dissent, I know, but there you go.

*****Spoilers*****

I avoided this thread until I could see the movie, but several people have said it was great, so perhaps this was just the weight of expectations. Still, lots of little points kept me from sinking into the movie throughout the film. I got a sense that lots of stuff was left on the cutting room floor. Why the work on the relationship with the guy collecting the money he owed for the restaurant (both the photo in the early scene, and the comment about "just doing his job" in the late scene)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think is to both show Clayton's attempt at being respectable (owning a restaurant) while failing at it (getting the money to open it from a loanshark). I really liked how it dramatized that dichotomous nature he was struggling with.

Why is it suddenly fine that people know Michael Clayton was killed, after all the effort to make Eden's death seem like suicide or an accident?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eden was lead counsel for the plaintiffs, and thus a unnatural death would bring some suspicion onto the defendants. Clayton had nothing to do with it the case (at least in the eyes of the law), so it wouldn't matter if he was murdered or not.

[ QUOTE ]

For that matter, why the hell did Clayton stop there in the first place? Was that supposed to be a moment of epiphany? Sorry, not that convincing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[b]He stopped his car because the scene reminded him of the horse on the cover of his son's book - and the one Eden had in his apartment.

liked your thoughts on the picture, though...