Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Charity tournament trip report

I usually post in B&M so I thought I'd share this report with you guys.

The United Way had their annual charity poker tournament this weekend, and being part of the sponsorship, I got a initial buy-in freeroll. A really good structure to this tournament as $100 gets you 16000 and you can re-buy $50 for another 8000 anytime you get below 16000. Since I was freerolling, I did the rebuy after the first hand and basically started the tourney with 24000.

One hour blind levels! Wahoo! Lets play some poker! Blinds start at 100-200 and I figured that with one hour blind levels, I'd see some "real" poker being played. Har har! By the end of the re-buy period, level 4, I was stuck for $300. I had aces up cracked by trips twice, and my AQ that I raised pre-flop with beat by Q5 sooted!

Level 5 began with about 100 players left, we started with 145, and finally the tables tightned up. I pretty much treaded water, stealing a few blinds here and there, and we ended the night with 45 players left, the blinds at 5K and 10K, and me with 109K in chips.

When play resumes today, I get the BB right away and we have 30 minutes left in the current level. Judging from last night's play near the end of the evening, I'll probably get the BB and SB twice more before the blinds go to 10K and 20K. Any advice? I know, I know, "shove with anything halfway decent!".

But seriously, if you have any words of wisdom, they'd be greatly appreciated. Only the final table pays with 1st getting 10 grand, 2nd gets 5, 3rd gets 3, and so on. I have to leave for the tourney around 1:30pm central.

Thanks for listening!
zulu