Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Extremely long wsop trip report

WSOP women’s trip report. I hate editing, so this is REALLY long. Have fun.

Saturday night I was nervous. I tossed and turned, and was awake well before my alarm. The event started at 11am, and I picked up a friend and got to the Rio by 10. Table 10, seat 5, I followed my card and sat down to a little stack of 1500 in chips.

One of my first hands, I got AQ vs AJ on an A high board and won a nice pot off the woman next to me. By the end of the first level, my stack was about 2300 and I was feeling good.

Level 2 saw a change in that. I went completely card dead, and my stack grinded itself to nothingness. At one point, I was sitting on 500 in chips. I pushed all in with KQ, got called by 66, and flopped a Q. The first of my coinflip wins. But even with that pot, I was still in dire straights in relation to the blinds.

When we went on break before level 3 I had T1100 in chips, and was coming back to 100/200 blinds. I was severally disappointed and felt I would be busting soon. I sent texts to many friends saying as much.

Level 3 started up, and I folded folded folded. My stack dwindled to 1000, then 900, then 800, when I picked up KK and pushed. I got one caller with KJo, and my hand held up. With the blinds in the pot, this hand tripled up my meager stack. About 10 minutes later, I was dealt AA utg. I raised to 600, it folded to a woman in late position who reraised to 1200. Folded back to me, I pushed, she called with JJ. My hand held up, and this put me in a decent chip position.

The next level saw the addition of a T25 ante per hand. With my tables habit of raising to merely double the big blind, and the pot sizes based on the antes, I was seeing lots of flops out of the big blind, and took down a few with postflop bets. When we went on dinner break, I was a decent stack size. Out of the 1128 players who started the tournament, some 400 were left.

When we got back from dinner, I was moved to a new table. About 3 hands into it, I limped in late position with QJs. The big blind checked, and we saw a flop of KT6, with two of my suit. The big blind bet out for 5 times the big blind. I moved all in on a semibluff. She thought for several minutes, and finally mucked KQ face up.

That table broke soon after, and I was moved again. I recognized a few faces, plus my stack had grown some. On every break, I sent texts to my backers telling them how I was doing. We were now down to 250 players. I was delighted to have lasted this long.

My new table was great. It was here that I went from surviving in the tourney to having a good shot at making the money. Early on, a short stack pushed, I called with JJ. She had KQ and failed to improve. This put me in good position for an interesting hand that came up a few minutes later.

I had T6s in the big blind. 3 passive players limped, and a loose aggressive player raised to 3 times the big blind in late position. I called, as did the limpers. The flop came down 972, with two of my suit. I checked, and it checked to the preflop raisor, who pushed all in. I had the dealer count her stack down, and I had her covered by maybe T400, with 200/400 blinds. I had to think about it for a moment, but I decided that her range her most likely hand was two big face cards that whiffed, instead of a monster that was trying to milk the pot. Also, with my straight and flush draws, I wasn’t too far behind if she did have a big hand. And, I was getting great odds from the pot.

So I called. The limpers all folded, and the woman showed A2 for bottom pair top kicker. I hit my flush on the turn and she was eliminated, though managed to throw in some snide remarks about my calling all in on a draw. I pokerstoved that hand later, and found out I was actually 55% favorite.

That hand gave me a sizable stack. I stayed at this table for a while, until we were at about 150 people. Top 99 paid. I was both very excited and very nervous.
My table broke again, and I moved to another table that would prove to be very profitable for me. At this new table, I had the biggest stack on the table and was getting lots of respect. I raised often, stole blinds, and attacked the short stacks at will. The two players to my left were short stacked, and I constantly went after them, eventually busting them and two others that sat down in the same seats.

We slowly counted down to the bubble. Making the money was a huge moment for me, I was super, super excited.
Originally, we were going to play until level 11, but because of the popularity of the NL tournament scheduled for the next day, they changed their mind several times and finally decided we would play until the top 27.
Slowly, people were knocked off. The prizes for 99th were around $2,000, and as more were knocked out I watched the prizes climb and climb.

An interesting hand around this time… I had been pushing the table around a bit, and raised UTG to 3xBB with 77. Two folds and a shortish stack pushed. Everyone else folds and it’s up to me. This hand had me thinking for a few minutes. She was short, but not verging bust. She didn’t need to commit her chips with something I was a big favorite over. However, since I had been pushing the table around with lots of aggressive raises, I didn’t think she needed a big hand to move in with there. And, with the antes and blinds, I was getting 1 to 2 from the pot on a call. With that in mind, I did call. She had Ajs, and didn’t improve, and my hand was good.

Finally, we got got down to the magic number of 27, and were moved to our new tables to play for 10 minutes before we went home for the night. In that ten minutes, I had two yucky hands that ate a third of my stack. The problems arose from the face that the three players to my left were all very aggressive and the chip leaders in the tournament. Also, I had not played with any of them for the entire tournament, so nothing resembling a read.
On the first, I opened in late position with A9s. Button cold calls. The blinds fold. I check a flop of 552r, she checks behind. I bet the Q on the turn, she pushes I muck. Bleagh. Very next hand, I open with 99, chip leader sitting directly behind me pushes I muck again.

That was the end of day 1. It was 4 in the morning by the time we quit, now down to 26 players. I was exhausted, and a little bothered by the 2 hands I ended on. I got on cardplayer and read every hand that the three players to my left had played in to try and get some reads on them, and then crashed out.

Play started at 4pm the next day. I folded for a while, and then the player directly to my right open pushed. She barely had me covered. I looked down at QQ. I wasn’t in dire straights, but I also felt that she way over valued her hands preflop and I was ahead of her range. I called, she had 33, I held up and doubled up. Yay.

We got knocked down to 18 players, and the tables changed so we could move down to 2. At this table, I had one aggressive player directly to my right, and another was a few seats away, instead of being directly on my left. I was much happier with this arrangement.

It was a few hands in that I played my last hand. Folds around to me in the CO, and I have KJo. Blinds are 3000/6000 with 500 ante. I make it 1800. The sb is the tournament chip leader. With my earlier double up I’m in the top 5 in chips. She cold calls, the big blind folds.
Flop comes KT2r. She checks, I bet 30k. She checkraises to 80k. From what I had read about her on cardplayer and seen so far that day, she was overly aggressive, and bluffed/semibluffed a lot. I thought for a while, and decided that I was beating her range there. I put her on QJ or AT. I pushed. She stared me down, and called with AQ. An A on the turn, no help on the river, and I bust in 17th.

I was a little bummed by how it ended, but I went way beyond any expectations in moneying, much less going fairly deep. All in all, I had a blast.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Extremely long wsop trip report

good report! congrats on the $$$.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 PM

nice report, congrats and good luck in yhe future.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM

great job, stacy.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:59 PM

Congratulations. That tournament was my favorite to deal.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:34 AM

very nice, congrats
Old 07-15-2006, 04:04 AM

nice report, congrats on the score

can't wait to get there -- reading this is getting me excited... only 9 days until I arrive!! And for some reason, I'm almost more excited for Event #37 ($1500NL) than the ME...
Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 AM

Congrats! I like reading about 1st time success stories!
Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 AM

congrats and well done!

i got a slight chuckle from this

[ QUOTE ]
I got on cardplayer and read every hand that the three players to my left had played in to try and get some reads on them,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
congrats and well done!

i got a slight chuckle from this

[ QUOTE ]
I got on cardplayer and read every hand that the three players to my left had played in to try and get some reads on them,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I'm such a nerd.

Thanks everybody.