I'm a Democrat: Democrats pick up 4 10.26%
I'm a Democrat: Republicans hold 19 48.72%
I'm a Republican: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I'm a Republican: Republicans hold 10 25.64%
I don't care which party wins: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I don't care which party wins: Republicans hold 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Default where does a-rod play next season?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

Why wouldn't you list the Dodgers? I think they are much more likely than most of those teams..there is absolutely 0 chance the Braves are interested. The Angels generally don't spend that much and have already said they don't want to pay anyone more than they pay Vlad. The Giants are trying to rebuild. Obviously the most likely is the Yankees..but I think the Dodgers could be a possibility.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you list the Dodgers? I think they are much more likely than most of those teams..there is absolutely 0 chance the Braves are interested. The Angels generally don't spend that much and have already said they don't want to pay anyone more than they pay Vlad. The Giants are trying to rebuild. Obviously the most likely is the Yankees..but I think the Dodgers could be a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not going to a rebuilding or losing team. I've said this before, and the proof is when he offered to give back $30M to get out of Texas. He was miserable despite the money, and he's not going to make that mistake again. This opt out/extension isn't about going to the highest bidder, it's about locking down a top salary for as long as possible so he doesn't have to be a free agent at age 35 when his value is likely substantially diminished due to injurys and age. But it will have to be with a team that is likely to be in the playoffs every year.

So no chance for the Dodgers. The Dodger's front office is suspect and their owner is a skinflint who interferes too much with the team. They aren't just a bad team, they are a fourth place National League team, the little league of major league baseball. Even if the Dodgers offered a 10 year $300M deal, he's smart enough to know it would be a direct repeat of the Texas situation, when 30% of the payroll is directed to one player the rest of the team will suffer. He is not willing to go through that again.

And all MLB owners/GMs know what a horrible deal A-Rods contract was for Texas, even though he was never injured and his performance was spectacular. They aren't going to fall all over themselves putting together long term offers so they can pay him a top salary during his decline years.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not going to a rebuilding or losing team. I've said this before, and the proof is when he offered to give back $30M to get out of Texas. He was miserable despite the money, and he's not going to make that mistake again. This opt out/extension isn't about going to the highest bidder, it's about locking down a top salary for as long as possible so he doesn't have to be a free agent at age 35 when his value is likely substantially diminished due to injurys and age. But it will have to be with a team that is likely to be in the playoffs every year.

So no chance for the Dodgers. The Dodger's front office is suspect and their owner is a skinflint who interferes too much with the team. They aren't just a bad team, they are a fourth place National League team, the little league of major league baseball. Even if the Dodgers offered a 10 year $300M deal, he's smart enough to know it would be a direct repeat of the Texas situation, when 30% of the payroll is directed to one player the rest of the team will suffer. He is not willing to go through that again.

And all MLB owners/GMs know what a horrible deal A-Rods contract was for Texas, even though he was never injured and his performance was spectacular. They aren't going to fall all over themselves putting together long term offers so they can pay him a top salary during his decline years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't a horrible deal if you sign him to a playoff team like the Cubs or the Angels though, or even a team like the Giants who will be viable with their young pitching for the next 6 yrs of A-Rods prime.

There will def be at least 3 teams (Angels, Giants, Cubs) not counting the Yankees who would pay 30 million a year for AROD imo.

I'm a Yankees fan so obv I want him to stay, but there is no doubt that the bidding will get insane and that is why Cashmen made his lil warning to Boras about hitting the open market.

A-Rod going to the Rangers changed noting for that team, him going to the Angels, Cubs, or Giants would make those organizations incredibly viable for the next 8 years, especially when you consider how big breaking the home run record will be if/when he does it. People were so-so about Bonds, and it wasn't really the story people thought it would be, but if A-Rod (a player considered to be clean) breaks it, it will be a huggeeeeeee deal.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 PM

imo the giants are the favorites. mcgowan needs something to put over to make everyone forget the bonds era, and arod breaking bonds' record in a giants uniform would do that trick for sure.

the giants fans are pushovers. remember, we were the only people in the world who kept giving bonds standing ovations night in and night out.

plus it's [censored] san francisco. who doesn't wanna live here?

sign arod, joe nathan, and a single decent bat to protect him, and the giants are nl west contenders (and by default NL contenders) immediately.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo the giants are the favorites. mcgowan needs something to put over to make everyone forget the bonds era, and arod breaking bonds' record in a giants uniform would do that trick for sure.

the giants fans are pushovers. remember, we were the only people in the world who kept giving bonds standing ovations night in and night out.

sign arod, joe nathan, and a single decent bat to protect him, and the giants are nl west contenders (and by default NL contenders) immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way the Giants are the favorites, they are in the running but they are no higher than 3rd. Alot of people have also been saying that A-Rod wants to stay in the AL, so thats working against you. And I highly doubt that you will offer MORE money than the Yankees, Angels, or Cubs.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants couldn't win with a better hitter in Barry Bonds and now he's gone. There is zero chance A-Rod wants move across the country from his homes in Miami/NYC to help the Giants rebuild so he can be miserable again.

The key here is that A-Rod has already made an enormous amount of money. The difference between any teams offers isn't going to make an appreciable difference in his net worth. This is totally different than when the Texas contract increased his net worth by 50x (and almost double the 2nd best offer). The difference between the worst and best deals now will change his net worth by less than 10%.

This deal will come down to where he can be sure to win and be happiest.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It isn't a horrible deal if you sign him to a playoff team like the Cubs or the Angels though, or even a team like the Giants who will be viable with their young pitching for the next 6 yrs of A-Rods prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I think the Angels are the front runners if he opts out. He can win immediately there, they can afford him without dumping other players. The cubs simply have their hands tied, otherwise they'd be the other top bidder. But either way he won't opt out.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a Yankees fan so obv I want him to stay, but there is no doubt that the bidding will get insane and that is why Cashmen made his lil warning to Boras about hitting the open market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm wrong, look at what Soriano got at a similar age. But I think you are underestimating the risks of signing him to a long term deal at age 32. I don't think the front offices are blind to his injury risk and risk of decline. It does no good for him to opt out and only get a 5 year deal. He doesn't want to be a 37 year old free agent. He needs a 7 year deal or more to lock down that salary for the long run. Boras would be taking a huge risk opting out if any reasonable extension was on the table from the Yankees.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm wrong, look at what Soriano got at a similar age. But I think you are underestimating the risks of signing him to a long term deal at age 32. I don't think the front offices are blind to his injury risk and risk of decline. It does no good for him to opt out and only get a 5 year deal. He doesn't want to be a 37 year old free agent. He needs a 7 year deal or more to lock down that salary for the long run. Boras would be taking a huge risk opting out if any reasonable extension was on the table from the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that because of the fact that arod has never had significant injury problems in his career (he is as durable as any player in baseball), that hitters in this day and age excel into their late 30s, that he plays a position where his skills won't deteriorate greatly when he is in his mid-late 30's, and that he is truly one of the greatest "talents" of all time make him imo as safe as you can possibly get for signing a 32 yr old player to a 7 yr deal.

I also don't think that Boras or AROD are taking any risks whatsoever in opting out of his current deal, whether the Yankees extend him or not. If the Yankees don't extend him then he will get get the same money and years when he hits free agency (he would actually get more money if he hits FA than if he extends his current deal without a bidding war).

The true risk would be if AROD didn't opt out or extend his yankees deal (which won't happen), because then he would be 35 yrs old and looking for a long term deal which teams wouldn't be as inclined to give him.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM

I wonder who voted for the Giants...