Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: 30 and living at home

yeah, enigma, it's cool. if you don't really have a reason to move out, don't. definitely much easier financially. no point killing yourself just to be on your own. it's definitely more accepted now than it was ten years ago.

also, where in vancouver?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's not looked down upon in other countries as much as in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

True
It is very common in Europe and is pretty much the norm in most of Asia that people don't move out until they get married.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM

I lived away from home with mates when I finished (more accurately dropped out of) uni for around a year and it was fun whilst it lasted but I had to move home because I couldn't cope with the finances. Also I was living in pretty bad conditions, just a studenty mess of a house.

After a couple of years living back home I moved in with my girlfriend and it's great.

I think forcing yourself to "make it on your own" when you've not got the financial ability or responsibility to really make it work long term is a bad idea. Then again I had it pretty easy at my parents house.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's not looked down upon in other countries as much as in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Read this on wiki like a week ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomerang_Generation

Fwiw, in my experience i moved out on my own at 18, then back at 19, before moving out again at 20 where i now live (im 23 now) in Manchester a fair distance away from family. I also have 2 friends from school who live in the city who moved here 2 years before i did.

I also have a friend who moved out at 18, then back into his parents house at 19 when he dropped out of uni where he still lives. He is also a total underachiever - always had the best results of our group at school but now works part time stocking shelves in a supermarket (i kid you not). He doesnt look to be moving out soon. For a really smart guy, he is probably the biggest retard when you consider the years he has wasted, and that is a lot coming from me who has drifted around aimlessly since forever it seems.

Then i have a friend who has always lived at home, but has a pretty good job working in IT - he will move out sooner or later, but chooses to live at home mainly out of finacial needs.

House prices here in the UK are stupidly high - my generation will always struggle to get on the property ladder - i only have two friends from school who own their own place - one moved into a place with her boyfriend and doesnt have any money to do anything but pay the mortgage and stock the pantry, and then there is a friend who bought with his (then) girlfriend and he is in a pretty crappy financial position because of it short term (despite him earning the most out of all my friends).

There are a few others who have gone through similar routines - end of the day my generation the rules are just different, we cant buy unless we wanna be crippled and renting is REALLY expensive back home due to a lack of new housing. Manchester its a lot easier - there is more new housing and with a large student population the rental prices are kept down by this demand for cheap no frills accomodation.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM

If you like living at home then that's all that counts. If you don't like it but you also can't afford to live on your own try buying a house and renting rooms to friends. If you have extra bedrooms they are not hard to fill if you have friends. I bought my first home this way and by the time my friends had moved out there was enough equity in my home that after i sold it my next down payment was enough to create a low monthly payment that was less than my rent 4 years previously.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:04 PM

I lived at home until I was 28 and moved out to be with the woman that would become my wife. I never had any issues with girls. Either they came over or I stayed at their place. They all lol'ed me but still slept with me, so who cares? It also allowed me to live a baller lifestyle on a not so balla salary.

BTW, my primary reason for sticking around was my mother was very sick and it was easier to take care of her at home.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lived at home until I was 28 and moved out to be with the woman that would become my wife. I never had any issues with girls. Either they came over or I stayed at their place. They all lol'ed me but still slept with me, so who cares? It also allowed me to live a baller lifestyle on a not so balla salary.

BTW, my primary reason for sticking around was my mother was very sick and it was easier to take care of her at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me they felt like pricks when you told them why you stayed home. I'd imagine that would be a nice in for a woman, anyways.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 PM

FWIW, I'm 26 and about to move back in with my parents for a little while to save money while starting a business or two and looking for attorney positions. Haven't lived at home since I was 18, so it'll probably be a little weird, but not too bad I hope.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like living at home then that's all that counts. If you don't like it but you also can't afford to live on your own try buying a house and renting rooms to friends. If you have extra bedrooms they are not hard to fill if you have friends. I bought my first home this way and by the time my friends had moved out there was enough equity in my home that after i sold it my next down payment was enough to create a low monthly payment that was less than my rent 4 years previously.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good move. When my brother was in college, he squeaked out enough money to finance a house. He live there and rented out 3 rooms to others he met in the dorm. Over ten years' later, TWO of the original roomates remain; he has 4 renters and a new house for himself.