Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Playing QQ on the turn with an overcard on the board

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hardly any reads or other data available on UTG and MP. I did notice, however that UTG made one or two questionable calls on the flop so far, which, in my opinion indicates that he's either a very good player or a very bad one. At NL25 with blinds of 10cts and 25cts, I always assume it's the latter.

Button ($15.95)
SB ($25.21)
BB ($10.29)
UTG ($32.54)
MP ($13.19)
Hero ($40.63)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.95, MP calls $1.70.

Flop: ($6.95) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>.

I consider myself to be on thin ice here. There is a K on the board. However, the field has been narrowed down to three players here. If neither one of them has a K, my QQ is probably good.

The betting proceeds and UTG and MP each call $4.50.

Turn: ($20.45) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks.

Hero checks, right? Maybe one of the players is a complete donk and calls my bet with a pair of eights or nines or some other hand that is only barely better than an ace high, but not both of them. Only rarely would I have the best hand at this point. Am I correct in this assessment?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Playing QQ on the turn with an overcard on the board

Yep, pretty much how I would play it. Maybe raise it a bit more PF $2.50-$3 because you got two players in the pot with you.

Although I'm guessing the river decision will be pretty tough.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 AM

Check the turn, for 4 reasons:
1. Control pot size as you will very likley call a small river bet
2. The turn does not improve your hand and 2 villains called your CB. Worrying. This is not 2nd barrel country.
3. You have position.
4. You have position, checking can induce a bluff, bringing me back to point number one.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 AM

Against 2 players I check this flop, nobody is folding a king here and by checking you are likely to induce worse hands to try and bluff at you
Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Check the flop behind and bet the turn and river. You dont have to worry about the board as it is fairly dry, and for that same reason betting is bad because any non king hand kinda has to fold, which lets them off easy.

As played yes you should check the turn and I would probably check the river also.