Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Bankroll beginnings

started with free $50 promotion for partypoker from some website back in the good old party days. I knew a little bit about BR management but not much. I played the turbo sngs and progressed fairly quickly from the 5s, to the 11s, to the 22s and turned my 50 into about 1650 in a couple of months. I was 16 and thought i was the [censored] at poker (you know, pokersss ezzzz!) Anyway i realized i had just run pretty well, and i started to lose again and my br kinda leveled off around 800 with me playing the $11 sngs.

Found 2+2 and ftr.com, read about lots of players switching from tourneys to cash, tried it out, started at 25NL, did pretty well, after 6mths my BR was at 8k and i was grindin 100NL. I wouldn't say i was a great player tho, i didn't even have PT or PAHUD, but i would say that my stats were a little fishy (im guessing i was running like 30/18, limped wayyyy too much).

Party goes out for US players--->I move to Absolute. Do alright there for a few months, make around 3k.

Decide Absolute game selection sucks---->move to Full Tilt. Where I have been playing for 5 months and started from 500 at the 50NL game, and am now at 10K playing 200NL.

cliffnotes:
never deposited, started with free $$$ promotion at Party
Sngs---->cash games
Absolute---->FTP, got somewhat serious about my game
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

I got 50$ for free at party beginning of this year. Was messing around a little, getting PT and the like, deposited 50E (which then still was approx 50$, so unlucky). I played mostly for fun, I was partying/socializing way too much to play poker seriously. After exams in June a lot of my friends left, and I started playing more seriously (had about 300$ in my acc I think). 50k hands an a couple of months later im playing 100NL instead of 25NL, and Ive cashed out a small amount to buy me some new clothes and [censored].

I know a guy who is atm pro-pokerplayer at 50NL. However, I think that is not really possible in a expensive country like Holland, so he will probably bust.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wonder what the smallest limits a good player can make a comfortable living at

[/ QUOTE ]
I play for a living at $0.5-$1. I do live in a very small town, pop. 600, where cost of living is low. Although, I know I make more money than the people I graduated with in college. I was an accounting major.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 PM

Deposited $50 at Pacific Poker about 4 years ago and got a $25 bonus. Played the penny limit games and a couple months later had about $300. Moved entire roll over to Party where I started playing $10 sngs. Ran hot and moved up in stakes eventually to the $100 sngs in about five months.

Continued playing strictly sngs for the next couple years off and on. Eventually got bored of them and just stopped playing/cashed out my entire roll.

A little over a year ago Party gave my a free $40 so I started playing again. Played $5+1 sngs and turned it into $1000+ pretty quickly. Internet gaming bill passes, moved roll over to stars. Moved up in sng stakes to the 27s over time. Got bored of sngs again but instead of cashing out roll I started playing cash. Played 100 NL from about January of this year for a couple months. Stopped playing again for about four or five months. Started up again in July at 100 NL. Moved up to 200 NL a couple months later.

Still playing 200 now, maybe moving up at some point soon. Online roll is about 20k but I'm a br nit and I still suck at poker.

edit: oh and completely OT but where in Ohio do you live thac? I'm from Worthington and currently go to OSU.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 PM

Won several small MTTs ranging from $3k-$10k. Never really played cash games. Played 1-2NL and lost several buyins. Moved down to .5/1 NL and lost 13buyins in a month. Last month played 15k hands of break even poker at .5/1.

I am currently playing .25/.50 NL with an $8k bankroll. LOL. I also am a member of cardrunners, have PT, and PAHUD. I pretty much suck at cash games. Help!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM

never played poker before, but with all the talk of warcraft 3 progamers changing to poker (i played wc3 at a pretty high level) i deposited 80$ in november '2006

lost most of it playing various games and then running bad (ofc i played horrible, but i lost like three 90/10's at nl5 ... i still remember the hands [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

decided to be disciplined with my last 20$ and started playing 0.02/.04 limit fullring

in march '07 i was at .5/1, moved to a site with rb ... got pokertracker and switched to 6max, playing 2/4 6max in june and july

in july i was sick of the swings, and i thought (still think) that NLHE has potential for higher $/hour given the same amount of time invested than limit ... so i cashed out most of my winnings to pay for one year of expenses (car+booze basicly, cashed out like 4500€ or 7k$) and switched to nl25

donked around, in the beginning of september i moved up to nl50, played 40k hands, nl100 at the beginning of october, played 40k hands, nl200 at beginning of november, ran sick hot (9ptbb over 26k hands this month) ... 15k bankroll now

so after exactly a year i made 20k$+ from the 20$ i started playing .02/.04 FR limit with ... pretty sweet
Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 PM

deposited 50 on pacific poker about 3 or 4 times and busted it playing 10nl and random donkaments. learned about bonus whoring and 2p2 and was beating 25nl on party in no time
Old 11-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Deposited $35 on a prima skin in October 2004, lost it all in a week. Was like OH [censored] I LOST MONEY GAMBLING ONLINE. So I decided to read what I could dig up online on poker, then deposited $50 built that up to $200 playing $20NL, moved it to another site to bonus whore, ran it up to $500 playing $25nl.

Deposited on party where I grinded my way up to $1000nl. Got sick of poker around april 2006, cashed out $100k leaving $2000.

Started again in august playing $200nl. Back to square 5 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Was playing LHE online last year and praciticing horrible BR management.

Found NLH and was a total monkey. After turning another $300 into $36 back on Feb. 16 of this year, told myself I either learn to play NL for real, or I stick to live only.

So from that $36 on Feb 16. to just over $14,000 now....
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Deposited $50 on Party a year or so back after buying Internet Texas Hold'em. Played .15/.30 limit. Did mediocre. Eventually improved, alot. Grinded up to consistently playing 10/20 limit. Went on a nasty downswing about the same time Neteller froze a huge chunk of my bankroll. Decided limit was annoying. Learned NL. Started at $50. Now playing $200 to $400 NL as my main source of income.

Also, mix in lots of experiments at varying stakes LO8/PLO/PLO8.