Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 AM

Default AK Unimproved

3/6 live - 7 handed

villain 1 - Claims to be "professional", has bragged a couple of times about how he is really good at making reads. I've seen him make 1 "good laydown" based on his reads. I've seen him limp a few times with suited queens, 25s, etc.

villain 2 - Definitely plays higher than 3/6 usually. Seems to play well. Is sitting to the left of villain1

My image - I've been playing pretty tightly, mostly because I'd been getting clear fold hands. I rarely slowplay but I don't think villains have been around long enough to pick up on that.

One person in early position limps, villain 1 is in Middle position and limps, villain 2 raises, folds to me in BB. I look down at AKo. I 3-bet, the early position player folds.

At this point villain 1 makes a comment about how I must have a very strong hand since I limp/re-raised. I didn't feel any need to correct him at this point, he calls. Villain 2 calls.

Flop (10 SB) comes: Q, two unconnected rags - rainbow

I bet, villain 1 stares at me, then folds saying I can only have 1 of 2 hands (AA, KK). Villain 2 raises me. I had the feeling that he was testing me, and would make this raise with many hands. So I 3-bet. He called.

At this point I was planning on betting the turn and then giving up on the hand if called.

Turn(8 BB): J

I bet and villain 2 folds.

Questions:
1. I don't see any problems with my preflop play. Does anybody else?

2. On the flop, should I have checked? I like the bet because that was a really good flop for my range of 3-betting preflop hands so I might as well pressure them.

3. Flop 3-bet, turn-lead combination. I like this play as well because I'm playing against a good player who will raise me on the flop with many hands. Against a standard 3/6 live player, this is probably a bad move, but was it here? I put these two together because I think if I 3-bet the flop and just get called, I have to lead the turn to try again.

4. When I saw the J on the turn I decided I would call if I was raised. Seems like it would be a pretty standard call, anybody disagree?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:25 AM

Default Re: AK Unimproved

PF is fine.

AK UI is really hard to play OOP against a PF raiser. I'm not a fan of 3-betting in situations like this. If I think villian is raising light, then I tend to call and c/r the turn. This play only costs .5BB more than 3-betting the flop and represents more strength. And sometimes the turn will get checked through, which is fine for you.

Edit: If you get raised on the turn, I don't think getting 8-1 is enough to justify a call. You have 4 clean outs but the A and K are really dirty; in fact, they may give you a 2nd best hand and cost you 2 more BBs on the river,
Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 AM

Default Re: AK Unimproved

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: If you get raised on the turn, I don't think getting 8-1 is enough to justify a call. You have 4 clean outs but the A and K are really dirty; in fact, they may give you a 2nd best hand and cost you 2 more BBs on the river,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be getting 11-1 on the call. (8 in the pot after the flop, 1 bet from me on the turn, 2 from villain on the turn).

I'm still thinking about the turn check/raise vs. flop 3-bet, turn bet line.