Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: a girl kept looking at me at class today. Do you think it is because:
She thinks Im hot 40 29.41%
She thinks Im wierd looking 48 35.29%
She is attracted to my odd nature in a non sexual way 48 35.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM

Default The $1 Billion Dollar - 700 Mile fence on the Mexican Border and more

If I digested the news story right, Republicans just passed a bill in one of the houses to authorize the building of a 700 mile fence on the mexican border at the cost of 1 billion dollars.

The law also requires voters to have some form of national ID.

Re the fence: If they say it'll cost a billion, it will cost 2-3x that guaranteed. And I don't really know that a fence will do all that much. This seems like a plan that will look to voters like they're doing something while wasting billions that will not work.

Re the photos- The Democrats oppose this. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what's going on because I don't quite understand what the objection is. Though haven't I already had to show proof of citizenship when I registered to vote? Wazzup here?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: The $1 Billion Dollar - 700 Mile fence on the Mexican Border and m

Did you show driver's license? Some places don't count that as proof of citizenship.

The 2nd sentence in your 3rd paragraph says it all:

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a plan that will look to voters like they're doing something while wasting billions that will not work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: The $1 Billion Dollar - 700 Mile fence on the Mexican Border and more

We should build a great wall of america that is visible from space. It will have the positive effect of both deterring illegal immigration, and defending Texas from rampaging Mongolian Hordes.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:47 PM

This issue is very, very big here in Arizona. There is a literal flood of border crossings. Nobody knows how many or their backgrounds. Suppose the number is 1,000,000/year which is pretty conservative
Wiki . If they were all massed on the border and were going to cross on Jan. 1st would you propose doing something about it? I do. If we need/want the immigrants that is fine with me but what's going on now is ridiculous. I'd spend whatever it took on a wall. Once the flood is stopped a sane immigration policy can be worked out.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Here's how it will work.
They build the fence and please their xenophobic supporters.
Then they please big business with a very generous immigration policy that lets everyone anyway.
And they make some contractors happy too.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This issue is very, very big here in Arizona. There is a literal flood of border crossings. Nobody knows how many or their backgrounds. Suppose the number is 1,000,000/year which is pretty conservative
Wiki . If they were all massed on the border and were going to cross on Jan. 1st would you propose doing something about it? I do. If we need/want the immigrants that is fine with me but what's going on now is ridiculous. I'd spend whatever it took on a wall. Once the flood is stopped a sane immigration policy can be worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it just be much easier to impose criminal sanctions and extremely high fines on companies that hire illegal immigrants, so as to make it economically unfeasible for companies to hire people without being damned sure they are legally alowed to work?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 PM

But what will a 700 mile fence do? People can climb over fences, dig tunnels, etc. I understand there are already walls/fences in areas and they're not that effective.

What kind of wall are you imagining that will be that effective (with the 1 billion dollar price tag) that they can build, what will it cost to maintain the bridge?

My point isn't questioing whether slowing immigration is a popular idea. I'm just questioning if this will be at all effective.

I think the other poster had it right when he said there are more effective ways to inhibit businesses from hiring immigrants.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it just be much easier to impose criminal sanctions and extremely high fines on companies that hire illegal immigrants, so as to make it economically unfeasible for companies to hire people without being damned sure they are legally alowed to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Enforce the laws that are already on the books regarding hiring of illegals.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Enforce the laws that are already on the books regarding hiring of illegals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much what I meant. It would be a lot cheaper and more effective than building a fence. I mean, seriously, what the hell is a fence going to do? Its not like we have enough people to watch the fence, and fences can be climbed and tunneled under pretty easily. Especially a fence spanning the entire southern border of the U.S.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's so bad about letting illegal aliens work?