Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: How do I protect my hand?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As played bet the river for value and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I could make that fold. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even at 30:1, I would still bet/fold on river. There are only two types of villains who would bluff-raise here: either the habitual bluffer or the creative type trying to take down a big pot. I'm assuming that previous play eliminates the first type of opponent.

The two donks, being donks, wouldn't try this type of thing, and the MP player, since he acts before the donks, probably wouldn't do it since he would be raising into 2 donks plus the bettor. If I get raised on that river, I'd give 50:1 that the raiser has at least an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

The donks aren't super loose-passive. Just super loose, and super bad. If it suddenly popped into their head to raise, they'd do it. It doesn't matter if they had a valid reason or not. You're also giving way too much credit to MP. I don't believe he has the poker awareness to consider that he has two people after him.

You can't bet/fold here. You just can't. Its a really really really bad play (against all but the tightest 1% of players, and even then I'd say its bad). Even if you knew the player raiser had an A (because you saw his cards when he looked at it) I might still call because I don't want people to start taking shots at me, which is exactly what will happen when they see me bet/fold in a huge pot.

In 3/6 against players this bad, there's always a chance that what the player is doing is something that they're just going to try for fun. Maybe they heard a random piece of poker theory and are misapplying it, maybe they just feel lucky, maybe they misread the board, maybe they misread their hand,... way too many maybes to fold getting those odds.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 PM

check-calling is different. I might do that, because the chance of a bluff when it's checked to one of them is much higher. In fact, I'm leaning towards this instead of bet-folding. Calling a raise still doesn't look profitable, though.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check-calling is different. I might do that, because the chance of a bluff when it's checked to one of them is much higher. In fact, I'm leaning towards this instead of bet-folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think to decide between the two I have to decide if they'll call with a worse hand more often then they'll bet a worse hand. In this particular case I suspect they're about equal and checking/betting are probably about equally good. I think I should have bet though, but not a big deal.

[ QUOTE ]

Calling a raise still doesn't look profitable, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to keep hasseling you about bet/folding, but its a really bad play live in a situation like this. Its a huge leak if you find yourself doing this on regular basis.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:29 PM

I'm not suggestind doing it on a regular basis, but just this situation, or ones similar to it. If I go into a river heads/up, I will almost never fold to a raise if my bet wasn't a bluff to begin with.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM

talking toaster do you play live?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Yes, it's all I play since online became such a hassle.