Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Default BB defense turns B2P 5-way

SB is a TAG
HJ is a passive fish
CO is about 90/70/5 over a few dozen hands
Button (raiser) is 20/15/1.5

I've only seen button villain SD 1 hand on a different table (he seems pretty nitty). He stole from button with a weak Ace, flopped bottom pair, the flop was monotone, he bet flop and checked behind turn & river and won UI.

Cryptologic
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) kimchi is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB calls, kimchi calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (10SB, 5 players)
SB checks, kimchi checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, SB calls, kimchi calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">kimchi donks</font>

How about this turn donk? I had a feeling villain might check behind here. The board is pretty co-ordinated now and unless villain has an overpair or something like AT, FD or QJ I doubt he's betting much else, and I'm probably not going to get the opportunity to C/R and protect my very vulnerable hand.

If the board on the turn looked more like something he would bet again, then a turn C/R might have been better.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: BB defense turns B2P 5-way

I'd fold the flop without a backdoor flush draw. Sixes and fours will get outdrawn constantly on this board. Here I think a CR is better. This type of player checks big cards behind on the flop, so his range is definitely more weighted toward overpairs, which he will bet.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM

I don't think either play is that much better/worse than the other.

Istewart, why would you weight his range more towards overpairs? From my experience, a lot of players are apt to limping with medium high pairs like tens or jacks after a few limpers because they are afraid of overcards flopping.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 PM

I think 99+ are all in this guy's preflop raising range, just based on playing similar games a lot. That said, a lot of bad or overaggro players will fire AQ here blindly when checked to, but this type of player seems like he'd err on the side of passivity and check (I'd definitely check too). So when he bets the flop, his range is mostly made hands. I think checkraising protects your hand better than betting, and gets more value as (I don't think) your hand isn't strong enough to bet/3-bet.