Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Default 10/25 NL live taking chances with a flopped nut straight

Foxwoods 10/25, 10-handed.

I haven't played much with villain before but I think he is a pretty solid player who knows how to fold. I am pretty much unknown to him.

Villain has 4500, I cover.

I am in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Preflop
Villain limps from EP, two more limpers, I complete and BB checks.

Flop (125): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Yay, I flopped the nuts. I lead out for 75 and villain raises to 350. I put him on 99, KQ, TJ, less likely 9Q, 9K, flush draw. What should my plan be here? My first instinct was to raise, but now I think I should be getting tricky here. If I call and then check the turn, he will most likely bet to protect his hand if it is a big one. Then I can tank forever and pretend like I have 9Q or something and reluctantly call. Then I can make a fake blocking bet on the river of 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot and he will have to pay me off. Obviously this is risky because the board could pair, a club could come, or a J or T could kill my action. But if you agree with the range I gave him, it seems like the extra bets that I almost definitely get out of him make up for the fraction of the pot I am giving away by slowplaying.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: 10/25 NL live taking chances with a flopped nut straight

just try to get a bunch of money in now the board is gross and live dudes can show up w dumb stuff like QQQ/KKK here and never think about folding it for less than 200bb - not to mention he's not folding some huge draw often either.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just try to get a bunch of money in now the board is gross and live dudes can show up w dumb stuff like QQQ/KKK here and never think about folding it - not to mention he's not folding some huge draw often either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I just had the feeling that this dude was not too dumb and knew how to protect his stack.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't played much with villain before but I think he is a pretty solid player who knows how to fold. I am pretty much unknown to him.

I am in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Preflop

Flop (125): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Yay, I flopped the nuts. I lead out for 75 and villain raises to 350. I put him on 99, KQ, TJ, less likely 9Q, 9K, flush draw. What should my plan be here? My first instinct was to raise, but now I think I should be getting tricky here. If I call and then check the turn, he will most likely bet to protect his hand if it is a big one. Then I can tank forever and pretend like I have 9Q or something and reluctantly call. Then I can make a fake blocking bet on the river of 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot and he will have to pay me off. Obviously this is risky because the board could pair, a club could come, or a J or T could kill my action. But if you agree with the range I gave him, it seems like the extra bets that I almost definitely get out of him make up for the fraction of the pot I am giving away by slowplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think the dude is any more likely to stack off on the turn as a loser than he is now but you are way more likely to stack off as a loser if a bad card comes, plus a flop call can be read as strong and get him to take a free card on the turn if he was raising a combo draw...i say ridiculous all in overbet youll be suprised by what calls you.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM

dont slowplay here. people dont look to make big folds if you havent noticed.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think the dude is any more likely to stack off on the turn as a loser than he is now but you are way more likely to stack off as a loser if a bad card comes, plus a flop call can be read as strong and get him to take a free card on the turn if he was raising a combo draw...i say ridiculous all in overbet youll be suprised by what calls you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't think he will stack off on the flop or the turn, which is why I want to call twice and fake block bet the river. I think I can get away from my hand if (and only if) he draws out on me so I think neither of us will stack off as a loser, and I am just trying to get as much as I can.

The crazy flop overbet idea is not so bad though because I don't really know this guy and there is some small chance he is a fool.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 PM

I really dislike your plan as a lot of cards that kill your action can come out, as well cards that will leave you guessing yourself. I do like flatting the flop vs this guy, but c/cing the turn is gross if you don't 3 bet this flop. Call the flop, and make a big c/r on the turn, and get it in on the river.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 PM

crazy board, so many terrible turn cards can come out if you just call, gotta 3bet here
Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 PM

Why do you want to get so cute here? You are out of position and half the deck is a scare card to you or kills your action. BTW, you forgot kk and qq could be in his range as he was the first one in early and nobody raised behind him. Make him make a mistake right now and jam this shi.t ai and make a big pot or take the cheese in the middle.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM

His huge flop raise screams combo draw (pair/FD or gutty/FD) as much or probably more than it screams 2 pair or a set.

Raise this flop for sure. Your plan seems flawed as it's pretty bad to let cards start rolling off after a flop like that.