Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Default WiFi

Hi, I need some help with something. I'm going to visit my parents for a couple of weeks and I'm going to be staying at their house. I just found out that they don't have an internet connection anymore, but I definitely need to play poker while I'm there. I looked into those wireless internet cards, but they're way too expensive for just a couple of weeks.

One thing I came up with was going to the local Starbucks instead and using their Bell WiFi hotspot. Would it be safe enough to do this? I'd only be logging into Party, but I'm a MSNL player so I have a good chunk of money on there. I always run Zonealarm and AVG. Is that enough to keep me safe, or do I need something like a VPN? (I don't know how to set one of those up but I suppose I could learn).

And what about taking my laptop to an internet cafe and using their wireless connection?

Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: WiFi

Zone Alarm and AVG are all you need for this, I wouldn't worry about it
Old 05-27-2007, 05:20 PM

I believe the communication between the poker site's client software on your computer and the site's servers is SSL encrypted, so you don't have to worry about your password and other vital info being intercepted.

Before connecting to a public network, I always make sure to disable file-sharing, but that's it. I think it's pretty safe otherwise.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks guys. And what if I can find an unsecured network from the neighbours that I can connect to from the house? Same deal?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the communication between the poker site's client software on your computer and the site's servers is SSL encrypted, so you don't have to worry about your password and other vital info being intercepted.

Before connecting to a public network, I always make sure to disable file-sharing, but that's it. I think it's pretty safe otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mean to be an alarmist but this isnt completely true. An SSL connection is between your computer and the poker site so yes it can't be intercepted. HOWEVER if somebody hacked into the router you are using to connect to the internet(if the router is not secured) then they have the SSL certificate because they are now in your wireless network even if you have file sharing off(which means they can decrypt your network traffic and see your login information). The average person will not know how to do this but a hacker with the knowledge of how this is done can do it with ease.
The odds are nobody will get your login info but if it was me I would play on one connection and then immediately after im done with that session I would connect to another connection and just change my password and end my connection to the router(to give little time for somebody to capture your network traffic). But thats just me
Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 PM

I heard (I think on 2+2) that there was a small fee for using WiFi at Starbucks. Idk how true that is though. Might be somethin to check into.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard (I think on 2+2) that there was a small fee for using WiFi at Starbucks. Idk how true that is though. Might be somethin to check into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they have that near my house too. Thats a much better option than looking for an unsecure network to use imho
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont mean to be an alarmist but this isnt completely true. An SSL connection is between your computer and the poker site so yes it can't be intercepted. HOWEVER if somebody hacked into the router you are using to connect to the internet(if the router is not secured) then they have the SSL certificate because they are now in your wireless network even if you have file sharing off(which means they can decrypt your network traffic and see your login information). The average person will not know how to do this but a hacker with the knowledge of how this is done can do it with ease.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense at all. As long as your computer is secure and you trust the poker software on it, it doesn't matter what's between you and the site in terms of data security. Hacking into the router wouldn't affect the security of SSL since (properly implemented) SSL is a protocol that only relies on the security of the endpoints.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. And what if I can find an unsecured network from the neighbours that I can connect to from the house? Same deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's a felony. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense at all. As long as your computer is secure and you trust the poker software on it, it doesn't matter what's between you and the site in terms of data security. Hacking into the router wouldn't affect the security of SSL since (properly implemented) SSL is a protocol that only relies on the security of the endpoints.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does make sense. Your computer is not the endpoint when you are using a router. The ROUTER and the WEBSITE are the two endpoints. You are connected to the internet through the router. All of the computers using the router connect to the internet through the router. If you are inside the wireless network of the router you can see ALL the traffic from any computer using that router if you have the right tools(SSL included). Thats why WPA2 security is so important.