Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Lucky You movie review (spoilers)

I guess I am gonna steer well clear of this movie (I planned to steer clear of this one anyway; especially since I don't think that Drew Barrymore could act her way out of a soggy brown paper bag)...
Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM

this was such a [censored] piece of trash movie. script was garbage - romance was retarded, both huck and billie were clearly dead weight for each other... acting was awful and the poker pros in there were really just in there to say "hey here look at some faces of the famous tv pros."

all the dialogue about online players was negative though, which is funny considering the live pros were consultants on the movie and that distaste for online players probably stems from their input
Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 PM

dd - nice review.

NYT actually didn't hate it for some reason. I thought dd's review was better though (xcept that part of not knowing who duvall is)

nyt review
Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this was such a [censored] piece of trash movie. script was garbage - romance was retarded, both huck and billie were clearly dead weight for each other... acting was awful and the poker pros in there were really just in there to say "hey here look at some faces of the famous tv pros."

all the dialogue about online players was negative though, which is funny considering the live pros were consultants on the movie and that distaste for online players probably stems from their input

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree this movie was complete garbage. The acting was horrible from the lead actor , and it looked like it was made on less than 100K. All those poker pros who made cameo's were literally on for 2 secs with no speaking rolls (except for Farha). The only thing that kept me awake was that it was about poker. The only thing realistic was the background Bellagio scenes. I mean even the way Banna tables his hands is like what people do at 3-6 limit. This one hand at the final table of WSOP 2003, the woman Michelle has a K hi flush on a 5 card flush on baord (no Ace), she moves all in on the river!!!! Don't waste your time seeing this crap.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM

STR82VIDEO
Old 05-05-2007, 02:18 PM

lets just say i actually loved this movie till the kid folded the winner AA after his dad shows KK three handed in the WSOP...just would never happen it just ruined it
Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 PM

It really amazes me how people can [censored] up movies now a days. For God's sake, just make a movie about how it is. The poker world is interesting enough without having to "hollywood" everything. From these reviews, it looks like they could havedone a better job by taking any of the good poker novels out there like "Cards" or Brandon Adams' book and wrote the script directly from it. Rounders was simple and to the point, and look how huge it was.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 PM

hopefully it brings new fishies like rounders and moneymaker...i doubt it though.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM

until the micking AA vs KK i thought it had the potential to be up there with rounders but after the final hand no way
Old 05-05-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DD,

Come on. That random old guy's name is Robert Duvall. Maybe you've heard of him? The Godfather? Apocalypse Now? Mash?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen any of these movies.

[ QUOTE ]
hopefully it brings new fishies like rounders and moneymaker...i doubt it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this on Friday night at 8 pm at a busy theater, there were probably 10 people in the theater. The line for spiderman started outside. I doubt it's going to have much of an effect.

Also I should have noted more strongly in my review how much of a Rounders rip off this was. From the attempt-to-be-sexy open, to Huck getting beat up for his debt and needing to make 20 large in 24 hours - of course they don't even bother to say how he did it, just assumed that he is that good I guess.

If they reconstructed the Bellagio poker room on a stage somewhere that is IMO the best feature of the movie. They did a great job with that.

-DeathDonkey