Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Remote Desktop

I'm trying to set up a system that will allow me to play on Party from the States. I live in Canada, but will be in the US for 4 months. The best way I figured to do this was to leave my computer hooked up to the internet here in Canada, and access it from the States via Windows Remote Desktop.

The problem is that I have two 24" monitors which I use to play on, but WRD won't work across two monitors. Specifically, what I was trying to do was leave my desktop tower here, but take my monitors with me and hook them up to another computer I'll have in the States. I've tried VNC and it displays both monitors across two screens even when nothing is connected to the original tower, but WRD just shrinks the original desktop to fit on the one monitor you are physically sitting in front of.

Is it possible to set WRD to display across two monitors? I looked through the settings but couldn't find anything. I also searched for some sort of add-on program that would provide additional features, but no luck. If there isn't a way to do this with WRD, does anyone know of another remote desktop client that has the connection speed of WRD but will also use both monitors like VNC?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Remote Desktop

No multi mon in RD. Also you can't transmit the max resolutions of a 24'' monitor in RD, it will downgrade within the window. I can't remember the max resolution, but its not that high. Even if you could, you'd need one hell of an upload speed at your house to transmit 2 desktops.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM

I found a way to do it. Theres an upgrade for Windows Remote Desktop called "Terminal Server 6.0" that supports multiple monitors up to about 4000x2000. You just need to install from the Microsoft website and type "Mstsc /span" from a command prompt on your local machine before running WRD.

This will not allow you to view a large remote desktop from a smaller local monitor, it will shrink it to fit your screen. But if it does let you see an entire desktop across more than one monitor. So if my regular computer is set to output to two 1920x1200 monitors, when I log in remotely using those monitors it will be just like I'm sitting in front of my home computer. Only thing is that the multiple monitors need to have the same resolution.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 AM

you could also try a free service like LogMeIn, it will allow multiple monitors and it will not open you system to security risks as much as the microsoft products. it also has a cool auto-scale feature where it will kinda "shrink" your monitor view at home just in case the monitors you are viewing on aren't as high of a resolution.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM

To me, it would make more sense to bring your whole setup down from canada and tunnel all your traffic back through your home connection from the US using your router or a dummy box.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, it would make more sense to bring your whole setup down from canada and tunnel all your traffic back through your home connection from the US using your router or a dummy box.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how to do this. Can you explain further or do you have a good link I can read?