Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Audible.com books on tape

For the most part, my iPod listening habits are mostly limited to CDs, concerts, and the like, with the exception of a few very good podcasts/regular radio programs (This American Life most notably amongst them). I have also downloaded a few programs on guided meditation to help me learn/focus on the process of meditation a bit, but beyond that, have never really delved into the books-on-tape market.

A few months ago (after I purchased a membership and some points), This American Life decided to start releasing their own independent free podcasts and not limiting all of their shows to paid subscriptions on Audible.com. This has left me with a surplus of points, and yet a strange reluctance to actually buying audiobooks on tape.

I've got a few books I've been thinking about buying (right now, Wikinomics is probably the highest on the list) and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten accustomed to the books on tape format for actual publications. I feel like I'd zone out a lot listening to someone, depending on what else I were doing, but really can't judge for sure -- so I'm looking for recommendations or warnings. Either way is great.

Rob
Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Audible.com books on tape

My quick thoughts on this topic:

1) I don't know if I could focus without having to physically hold the book and actively read. I could easily see getting on a subway and zoning out for 20 minutes then suddenly realizing I have no idea wtf is going on in the book. There's a strong association between listening to my ipod and relaxing.

2) There is some degree of a social coolness factor associated with having a physical book.

3) I would be a lot less inclined to listen to a couple minutes of the audiobook while I'm taking a crap than I would be to read the actual book.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) There is some degree of a social coolness factor associated with having a physical book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I must be the coolest person in the whole universe then.

Rob, I'm a big reader, and thus the thoughts of audio books grate with me a little. It seems like you're being spoon-fed in a way. That's just my little excuse for not having anything to recommend to you.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There's definitely some regional element to this. Damn New York City hipsters!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob, I'm a big reader, and thus the thoughts of audio books grate with me a little. It seems like you're being spoon-fed in a way. That's just my little excuse for not having anything to recommend to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's difficult because I expect a lot of the posts to be like yours/Evans, which is exactly how I feel about audiobooks right now, but I'm kinda hoping that someone who used to feel this way actually gave them a try (I'm guessing you haven't and I know Evan hasn't) and then found them to be great or whatever.

Rob
Old 04-16-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's difficult because I expect a lot of the posts to be like yours/Evans, which is exactly how I feel about audiobooks right now, but I'm kinda hoping that someone who used to feel this way actually gave them a try (I'm guessing you haven't and I know Evan hasn't) and then found them to be great or whatever.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're using points, so they're for the most part free. Why not dip your toe in yourself and then get back to us with a trip report? Maybe it could be interesting playing online while "reading" a book.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 AM

My mom reads more books than anyone I know. Growing up we had several floor to ceiling bookshelves all filled with books, and boxes of books that would fit on the full shelves. My mom didnt take us to the park to play, she took us to the used bookstore or to the library. So needless to say, my mom LOVES books.

My mom found out about this ipod thingy and decided to get one so she could listen to some CDs at work. My mom isnt all that into music tho, and decided to give some books on tape a try. She was very hesitant about it, because like I said she LOVES books, and the thought of listening to one kinda seemed "dirty" to her, like it would cheapen the experience. That and she figured she wouldnt like it because she loves to read so much. And I think also maybe cuz she was a little worried she might like it, which would be bad because then she wouldnt read so much. But mostly yeah, cuz books are cool and audio books arent.

Anyway, she gave it a go, and now she absolutely loves it. She can listen to books at work, books in her car, books wherever she wants. She can listen to books places she cant read a book. Now along with a house full of bookshelves and books, shes got a hard drive crammed full of books on MP3.

So yeah, I say give it a shot. I've listened to a couple. And its really not bad. Its much easier to get into than I thought and my mind didnt really wander anymore than it will wander while im actually reading a book. I listened to the harry potter books when I took a long road trip, and I wont ever do a long drive down the highway again without a book on tape, it really makes the miles go by quicker.

According to my mom really the only downside is the person who reads the book. Some people can just ruin a book, and there are some books she wont get because they are read by a certain person. Also some books on tape are abridged so make sure you watch out for that.

Anyway, dont really know the point of my post as Im not providing much in the way of first hand experience, but there you go.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 AM

Psychologists and education experts have shown that people's comprehension *vastly* improves by reading information as opposed to listening to it. This is why lectures are far less efficient means of learning that textbook reading or active learning. The same is true of fictional books. By reading the text, you engage more with both the language and the story, and you can go at your own pace. Listening to a book on CD will be either frustratingly slow or annoyingly fast (when you miss a story point and can't easily go back).

So yeah, I think audio books are for the supremely lazy and will never be as satisfying or illuminating as poring over the words themselves.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I don't know if I could focus without having to physically hold the book and actively read. I could easily see getting on a subway and zoning out for 20 minutes then suddenly realizing I have no idea wtf is going on in the book. There's a strong association between listening to my ipod and relaxing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this problem with podcasts
Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Psychologists and education experts have shown that people's comprehension *vastly* improves by reading information as opposed to listening to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is definitely true of most people but not everyone learns best by reading as opposed to listening. I learn way better by hearing a lecture than I do reading. also, I will often forget what someone looks like but recognize them by the sound of their voice rather than their face.