Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Default 2+2er Nike Plus running group - who\'s in?

Dunno if any of you have one of these yet. My wife and I got one for Christmas and I've used it a few times, and as part of my overall training (getting back in shape for Ultimate frisbee + rebuilding my knee/leg strength) I'm going to start running a lot more than I have in the past.

Right now, I'm really not much of a runner -- I run fairly slowly and generally only 2-3 miles per run. Overall my goals are to be able to run a half marathon by the end of the summer. As I've never been much of a runner, this is a pretty big goal for me.

Anyway, part of the way that the Nike Plus website/system works is that you can setup groups with up to 50 people to compete vs. individually, or to compete with as a group vs. other groups. I'm still figuring out how their system works but it looks like anyone can create a challenge and invite other usernames to participate...so I'm going to start a "most miles ran" challenge over the next 90 days. Anyone in? My Nike+ username is Entity. If you're interested, post your Nike+ username and I'll add you to the challenge. You can create a Nike account even if you don't have the sensor yet, but there's no way to upload your rundata to the site without one. If you already have a Nano, the pedometers/sensors are only $30 and definitely worth it (even if you don't, a Nano is a great thing to have for running).

PS - For those who have been thinking about buying one of the Nike sensors, I'd definitely recommend it. I'm only a few runs in so far but it's really helping as a motivational tool, and for making runs more fun overall.

Rob
Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

Hey entity, good idea. I've been meaning to do some research on this.

I already have an Ipod nano, can you buy the shoes & connecting device separately from ipod?

TIA
Old 01-01-2007, 06:54 PM

You don't need special shoes. You can get the sensor from Nike stores directly or from lots of fitness stores (or just from Amazon) for $30. If you don't have an armband to hold your Nano + the sensor, I'd strongly recommend the Marware Sportsuit Relay , which comes with a "shoe wallet" to easily attach the sensor to any pair of shoes. The Nano is shaped differently because of the receiver that is attached to it, so I'm not sure how well current Nano armbands/holsters will work.

Rob
Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 PM

Bump for any of those who made resolutions to exercise/run more. I know it hasn't really gained a ton of popularity yet (most of my friends don't have a clue what it is) but it's definitely worth looking into.

I just got back from a short (2.1mi) run with my dogs. Looks like it's going to have benefits for them, too.

Rob
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 PM

Hmm I was looking at this but thought you had to have special nike shoes. If not I may be up for this. I was training for a half marathon before various issues (work, funeral, etc.) got in the way.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 PM

Rob,

I'm down for it, if you don't mind me counting elliptical trainer miles as well. My knees probably can't handle the stress of a ton of running anymore after soccer and football in HS/College.

I'll head down to the Nike store tomorrow to pick it up. Do you work out at 24 at all?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 PM

I won't be running till mid feb but I'll go for it.

kyleb,

where are you from? i work out at 24 in san diego.

entity,

thanks so much for linking to this - i had never paid much attention to it but it sounds very cool and like it really could help motivate for running. i usually stay away from running and use the treadclimber+stairstepper+elliptical instead because i think running is v hard, but this would definitely be motivating.

what if you don't have a nano? i have an ipod video - will it work for that?

[ QUOTE ]
Rob,

I'm down for it, if you don't mind me counting elliptical trainer miles as well. My knees probably can't handle the stress of a ton of running anymore after soccer and football in HS/College.

I'll head down to the Nike store tomorrow to pick it up. Do you work out at 24 at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

The device unfortunately won't count elliptical miles as it counts mileage based on footstrike (it's just a geeky pedometer that connects to an ipod and syncs with playlists, etc.).

I don't work out at 24 -- I work out at Olympic in Ballard. If you ever move to my neck of the woods you'll definitely have to join; it's a nice place.

I have some degenerative knee issues as well, but I'm going to work on a running plan that hopefully can get me back into it slowly and maybe allow me to be more of a runner in the future by rebuilding my supporting muscles. I've found that nothing is really as good as running for helping me to lose weight, which also should help out with my knees, I think.

For all who are wondering, you definitely don't need Nike shoes for this. Just find a way to attach the sensor to your shoes (velcro, etc.) and you'll be fine. I use one of these:

In combination with Brooks shoes.

Rob
Old 01-01-2007, 11:55 PM

fluffpop62,

Do you elliptical more backwards than you do forwards?