Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Push or c/f when pf stealing get called?

Blinds are t25/50, and I'm at CO with t1200, BB is quite the same at t1130. All fold to me and I raise t300 with 98s. Called only by BB.

The flop comes K32 rainbow. BB checks to me. The pot is now 625 and we both have about 900. If I cbet about 300 and get called, then I'm committed. So the choice is push or c/f. What shall I do here?

That hand was checked down to the end, and BB shows K7o and takes the pot.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Push or c/f when pf stealing get called?

Raising to 300 is excessive. 150 should be fine unless the blinds are especially loose, in which case you might want to reconsider stealing with 98. I'll usually throw out a c-bet of about half the pot, but it depends on the type of player the caller is too. As played, it depends how many players are left, stack sizes, etc.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Raise less pf. 6x there is pretty atrocious. Also your not committed if you bet the flop because you have 9 high. Cbet is fine but make it small enough that you can fold to any action.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 PM

The reason this is hard is because you bet so much pf. If you bet 150 on flop some options are better than other but either way its not a big deal and you just move on to the next hand. Now any cbet puts you at probably shorty, I'm with the other poster cbet does not commit you even with only 500 or 600 left there is no way you push all your chips in with nothing, you can come back from 600 just one double puts you OK and one more gets you to the bubble.

Looks early in the tourney since blinds are low no need to be betting that big with marginal hands and if you are trying for the steal 150 or 200 followed by the cbet puts you about where you are now moneywise and you are folding if pushed or re-raised
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM

I agree with the other posters. One comment - he called your raise with a pretty crappy hand OOP. Did you have any reads on this guy as really loose? Or maybe have you been really aggressive so far and he's thinking you are on a bluff? It just seems like an odd play for him to make, and if he's got a read on you as being over aggressive your Cbet here won't work most of the time if he has anything at all and you would be better off taking the c/f line.

Just a thought...