Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel

Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Going beyond your visa...?

Hi,

I will be studying in Spain this spring, and unfortunately it is unlikely that I would be able to get a student visa in time for me to leave. My American passport can get me into Spain, and I can stay there for a maximum of 90 days. The program lasts 111 days, so assuming I go without a student visa, the last 21 days I would be in the country illegally.

I talked to my program, and they've said that people have done this in the past and that it hasn't been a problem. The only thing is I won't be able to leave Spain during those last 21 days, so we will probably travel outside during the beginning of the program, and then maybe hit up some cities in Spain during the last few weekends.

The few questions I have is, what happens if I'm somehow caught overstaying my visa?

And, when I fly out, it will be obvious at customs that I've overstayed the 90 days. Will they do anything?

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please let me know

thanks

jeff
Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Going beyond your visa...?

[ QUOTE ]
The few questions I have is, what happens if I'm somehow caught overstaying my visa?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Australia, if you get caught overstaying your visa you go to a detention centre (essentially, gaol). You then get sent home, and invoiced for the costs.

[ QUOTE ]
And, when I fly out, it will be obvious at customs that I've overstayed the 90 days. Will they do anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
If they say anything, they'll tell you that you're never going to be able to visit the country again.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:00 AM

In Thailand and Laos you have to pay a fine for every day you overstay.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to my program, and they've said that people have done this in the past and that it hasn't been a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
One has to wonder what kind of idiot program would advise people that it's ok to break immigration laws in other countries.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I talked to my program, and they've said that people have done this in the past and that it hasn't been a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
One has to wonder what kind of idiot program would advise people that it's ok to break immigration laws in other countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. That seems idiotic. However, I did read a bunch of posts in Spanish expat forums that claimed Spanish visa laws are incredibly lax, but do you seriously want to mess with things?

Ask the consulate for a rush visa, or ask them if you can get an extension once in the country. As WhoIAm said, Thailand charges every day you are over, but you can also purchase a 30 day extension which saved my ass a few times. Maybe Spain has something similar.

Also, in case you didn't already know, Spain is part of the Schengen agreement, which means you can't just leave Spain and reenter, expecting every country to be an escape route. The UK would be an exception to this, I think, and might make a good cheap escape route.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. That seems idiotic. However, I did read a bunch of posts in Spanish expat forums that claimed Spanish visa laws are incredibly lax, but do you seriously want to mess with things?

Ask the consulate for a rush visa, or ask them if you can get an extension once in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to their laws, you cannot get an extension while in Spain.

[ QUOTE ]
As WhoIAm said, Thailand charges every day you are over, but you can also purchase a 30 day extension which saved my ass a few times. Maybe Spain has something similar.

Also, in case you didn't already know, Spain is part of the Schengen agreement, which means you can't just leave Spain and reenter, expecting every country to be an escape route. The UK would be an exception to this, I think, and might make a good cheap escape route.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to Spanish immigration law, you must return to your home country to renew any visas. Furthermore, you cannot stay in Spain longer than 90 days during any 6 month period. In other words, you can't go out and return again right away for another 90 days.

OP, if you break Spanish immigration law, you may also be [censored] yourself if you ever want to go to any of the other countries in the Schengen agreement.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM

If you get into a real bind, Norway is not part of the customs union but I never got my passport checked going into or out of it from Sweden. You'll lack an entry stamp, but you can blame that on their border laxness. I would imagine there are other oppotunities like this closer to Spain (Andorra?). Gibraltar and Morocco were strict when I went there, btw.

You should seek some more knowledgeable advice, IMO.