Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: A coincidence that bothers me

[ QUOTE ]
And yet I'd be pretty impressed if "vhawk" was emblazoned in moon dust on the dark side.

[/ QUOTE ]

you may be. Would a martian?

luckyme
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And yet I'd be pretty impressed if "vhawk" was emblazoned in moon dust on the dark side.

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Martians dont get impressed, they only feel three sensations, hungry, sleepy, and ticklish.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Martians dont get impressed, they only feel three sensations, hungry, sleepy, and ticklish.

[/ QUOTE ]

They feel ticklish. Damn. I always wanted that one. The universe seems to have been created with martians in mind ... else why are there feathers.

luckyme
Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Pillows LDO.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 AM

This thread is a pretty good microcosm of Christian apologetic science.

Hypothesize > Count on someone else to debunk > Qualify hypothesis > Repeat
Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Dog backwards is god...

Coincidence? I think not!

Woof...
Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is a pretty good microcosm of Christian apologetic science.

Hypothesize > Count on someone else to debunk > Qualify hypothesis > Repeat

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its not because a hypothesis has never been stated in this thread. The closest that has come is a sentinment that when an astronomical longshot comes in, its more likely something else played a role in the outcome than just random chance.

For instance, if one purchased a quick pick lotto ticket and the numbers came up 1 2 3 4 5 6. There is a good chance that person would be skeptical that the machine randomly produced those numbers. If that same person then purchased another quick pick ticket from the same machine and got the same numbers, 1 2 3 4 5 6, its not unreasonable for that person to think the machine is broke. I speculate that its more likely the machine is broke than it just happened to randomly produce the same set of numbers on two consecutive tickets. Nevertheless the machine can be working perfectly fine, even if it produces the same set of numbers on 10 consecutive quick pick lotto tickets.

Is it wrong to say that a "stellar" coincidence, like a total solar eclipse, makes it more likely an active designer exist? So far no one has addressed that question. This thread is about that question and not about proving the existence of a Christian God. People stop being so fearful.

Stu
Old 11-12-2007, 06:15 PM

It's the same kind of coincidence that the sun is exactly the size it is now, and not a bit smaller or bigger. DUCY?

It just seems as a coincidence because you wouldn't notice it if it wasn't true.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually its not because a hypothesis has never been stated in this thread. The closest that has come is a sentinment that when an astronomical longshot comes in, its more likely something else played a role in the outcome than just random chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Astronomical long shots are expected to come in. There are so many different measurements and observations we can make in the universe that it would be strange if some of them were not weird coincidences.

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, if one purchased a quick pick lotto ticket and the numbers came up 1 2 3 4 5 6. There is a good chance that person would be skeptical that the machine randomly produced those numbers. If that same person then purchased another quick pick ticket from the same machine and got the same numbers, 1 2 3 4 5 6, its not unreasonable for that person to think the machine is broke. I speculate that its more likely the machine is broke than it just happened to randomly produce the same set of numbers on two consecutive tickets. Nevertheless the machine can be working perfectly fine, even if it produces the same set of numbers on 10 consecutive quick pick lotto tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not even close with this analogy. Finding two lotto consecutive lotto tickets that are the same is hugely different than finding a ratio in our solar system that has a 3% difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it wrong to say that a "stellar" coincidence, like a total solar eclipse, makes it more likely an active designer exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is completely wrong. You don't seem to grasp concepts of probability very well. When the same number comes up on a roulette wheel four times in a row, it doesn't make a designer any more likely. When a pitcher throws a perfect game in baseball, it doesn't make a designer any more likely.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The likelihood of your ratio, given your loose standards, is at least 1/50. The likelihood of the lottery example is at most 1/1,000,000. So the situations are not analogous.

But as you acknowledge, it's perfectly possible for the lotto situation to be a coincidence. In a universe with trillions of ratios to consider, many of those ratios will be 1/1,000,000 longshots purely by chance. It would be a massive coincidence for this not to be the case.

Thus, it's rational to consider real anomalies rather than to parse for ratios that seem pleasing to us. (When the basic likelihood of a "coincidence" is as high as in this case, parsing for patterns is completely useless.)