Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Re: What is the most tragic thing you\'ve ever had to deal with

Lost like 50% of my bankroll to some retarded party donkeys in one night.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know which is worse - suddenly without the chance to really say everything you wanna say and get used to the idea, or slowly and having to deal with your parent being in an awful state.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me honestly I think its MUCH worse when a loved one is in an awful state for a long time, seeing them suffer so. My mom suffered from cancer for 10 years, my father 20 years after his horrific stroke. Both would have been much better off if they had died quickly. I hope I die instantly somehow someday, and that those who love me can grieve quickly and then move on.

Sorry for your loss, good luck to you and your brother.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM

My cousin also one of my Best Friends growing up went on a family fishing trip with the other side of his family every year. I got to go many times. Well one year he was in the car in the front of the pack and they were crossing some railroad tracks, not sure how this ever happens but they got hit by a train. His Uncle who was driving was killed instantly. His dad (front passenger) is not paralized from waist down. My cousin back seat only suffered a broken collarbone. Although you might think wow how lucky. He has never been the same person, doesn't talk to many people. can't hold a job.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Nice thread. It makes me think that I'm a statistical anomaly for not having lost anyone very significant to me (23 now). I can't even think of anything tragic.

I can't imagine what it must be like to witness a close relative get mangled like Eddie's friend in the train accident. I always wondered what war would be like in comparison. Would it be worse to be in some heavy combat(s) and see so many die and have to kill yourself? (edit - have to kill others yourself)
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM

For what it's worth, even if you had known how to call 911 the chances of your father surviving were likely very low.

From the time someone goes down, you've got about 5 minutes to restore cerebral perfusion (oxygen) to prevent brain damage, maybe 10 minutes to prevent brain death. The chances of paramedics responding that quickly to a 911 call are, to be generous, remote - they'd basically have to be parked outside your house.

Even IF you get that fast a response, the survival rate for true cardiac arrests is low - I'll see maybe one or two a year out of our department.

MM MD
Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM

for me personally it was the loss of one of my best friends shortly after we all finished college. a 23 year-old guy ran a bunch of cars off the road before slamming into my friend who was going through the green light at the intersection. my friend died instantly and the guy who hit him pleaded insanity and said that he was on a mission from the devil to kill as many people as possible. the guy was free less than 6 months later.

a close second was when the kid that i mentor (11 years old at the time) found out that his dad who had been released from prison 8 months earlier was dead. the dad had been missing for 6 months before word got back that he had died and his body was burned at a homeless encampment.

lastly, another good friend of mine lost his older brother to a heroin overdose just after high school. then his little brother committed suicide 6 years later on the anniversary of the oldest brother's death. it was later discovered that the youngest brother had been writing letters to the oldest brother for years after he had died.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:28 PM

mother lost her sanity, never regained it. horrible stuff. there is no god

and that's only about a quarter of it
Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

this probably
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1675169
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Definitely this

I've been thinking of writing up a long and more detailed version of the back-story.. something that I think will be therapeutic and needed. Maybe post it in EDF. Maybe not. But it's too soon
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aisle, your 16 yr old brother had a fiance??? wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like I said he was almost 17, so it's not really that crazy to be engaged at that age. They had been together for a while also.