Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Organ Donations

[ QUOTE ]
Vital organs won't go for anything less than 50k IMO. And that seems like it would be on the cheap side if we have a free market of organs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The price is not going to be nearly that high. In the places where selling organs is legal (Iran, for instance) the market found an equilibrium much lower than expected. There is no shortage to drive up demand if everyone is donating.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vital organs won't go for anything less than 50k IMO. And that seems like it would be on the cheap side if we have a free market of organs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opportunity cost of selling your organs after death = 0 for most people. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an actual shortage of organs, if everyone who could donated. Why do you think the price would be so high?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would assume that if we actually able to sell our organs when we die the organs would become property of the family and they would sell them to the highest bidder. I assume the best organs would go for high prices like that. I have nothing to really base this on outside of an assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully none of your relatives will ever be poor and want you dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if legalizing selling organs would be a good idea. I do believe in people donating organs, I hope that those who said they are adamantly opposed to it are just trolling for fun.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was always pro-organ donating until this thread. I never even considered buying/selling organs a better way. Furthermore, buying/selling organs wouldn't CREATE a black market. A black market likely already exists, it just isn't very large. Minimal regulation would prevent the black market from exploding...ie only certain organs allowed to be bought/sold, mutual agreement between parties done within a hospital. face to face verification from the owner of the original organ before any organ is put into a new body. There are dozens of ways to prevent a huge black market of killing people for their organs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I encourage you to read as much as possible on the topic. It's something that is going to need to be addressed as soon as possible with an aging population that is willing to go to a handful of countries to buy the organs that they need. Our system has made it so that only the rich will get their organs, and the rest will die on a waiting list.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 PM

AFAIK, those days are gone - where I trained all the bodies were donated by the "owner" before death - after being used for training, they were buried and given a service that a fair number of us attended.

I think that's pretty standard - can't say for certain.

MM MD
Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Being a nit, but unless you're transplating between identicle twins, EVERYONE is on some sort of immunosupressive therapy treatment for the rest of their lives.
In my experience, most potential liver recepients don't last 5-7 days in the ICU - they box pretty quickly. Part of the reason for this is that the shortage of livers means that you gotta be damn near dead before you get one, and are more prone to getting bad sick.

Agree that the present system is a mess, but dunno if $$ for parts is the way to go. I think the arguement is best for kidneys, due to the potential savings in dialysis costs. I suspect that for hearts and livers, savings might be less certain.

MM MD
Old 10-01-2007, 03:44 PM

This thread needs some Borodog.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 PM

I tried to sell a kidney on craigslist. Apparently people frown on that sort of thing because it was flagged down within the hour.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 PM

Alright, I'll admit I didn't appreciate the relative costs vs. transplant or no transplant. Although after 45 minutes of searching I didn't find any actual evidence one way or the other on lowering/raising insurance premiums.

I'll concede that point KotOD. Now I'd like you to concede that stopping being an organ donor is an illogical response to the issue. You could raise lots of awareness about this issue by walking up to a person in time square and shooting them in the face. You'd get lots of media attention and lots of time to express your views about necessary organ donation reform.

While I don't believe people that don't donate organs are guilty of murder, the effect is the same. You not donating your organs has a decent probability of costing someone their life AND you don't spread the word as effectively to the rest of the general public as when you randomly murder someone.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM

My friends took my drivers license out of my wallet, and in illinois there is a spot on the back to sign for organ donation. Well there is a part where you can write down any organ you wish to donate if you would die, and my buddies wrote testicles, and drew a penis.

I got pulled over and the cop handed me back my license and told me I was a good person for wanting to donate my testicles.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an organ donar. I'm selfish, superstitious, and doing everyone a favor as I'm sure my liver and kidneys are prob worthless anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to pick a fight or anything of the such, but I am curious as to what your line of thought was that brought you to the decision of not donating...i.e. why does being selfish make more +EV sense to you than donating an organ.

thanks!