Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Default You Know To Fold But Still Call

I often find myself making these horrible river calls when I know right when the last card comes off I'm beat. I know this must sound crazy to many. I'm not talking about folding a pair, it's mainly situations like having top 2, or even a set, and that horrible river card comes that makes every draw. I immediately know to fold, my hands not good, then I do the wtf call...

Anyone else have this leak? Any fixed this leak?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: You Know To Fold But Still Call

I think everyone has done this to some extent at some point.

Maybe it's about gratification. You can get gratification from making +ev plays or from making correct reads, etc. If you're down quite a bit and depressed about it you may cease to care about money so much and instead look for gratification from being correct in your read so you call to make sure.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 PM

I have found the best way to stop these typ of calls is to tell yourself you are saveing money by folding here and thats the same money you will use to bust that son of a B.
Tell youself you are the greatest, because most players cant make this lay down and be happy about it! one more time BE HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often find myself making these horrible river calls when I know right when the last card comes off I'm beat. I know this must sound crazy to many. I'm not talking about folding a pair, it's mainly situations like having top 2, or even a set, and that horrible river card comes that makes every draw. I immediately know to fold, my hands not good, then I do the wtf call...

Anyone else have this leak? Any fixed this leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you paying off at a profit or at a loss?? This is probably the most important question for you to answer. If you are making calls that are paying off implied odds then you need to bet to cut off the implied odds. If you are paying off at a profit well then it's the cost of doing business for the most part unless you are absolutely sure your beat you pretty much need to make the call. The concept of paying off at a profit was new to me until I read Sklansky's book but once I read it my profit went through the roof.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 AM

Which book is that in? I don't remember reading that.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which book is that in? I don't remember reading that.

[/ QUOTE ]

the theory of poker covers this but not in the same words as beerman used.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 AM

I think what they are saying is that if you never call, you will get bluffed a lot more.

But then, as Phil Godon said, if you never get bluffed out of a pot, you are calling way too much.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM

I'm ashamed to say I've done the same on more than a few occasions. Mostly when I'm probing/playing a higher stake than my normal game. I seem to overvalue the money a bit and find it hard to let go when the bet size and all indicators point to me being beaten.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:00 PM

is this NL or Limit? In No Limit games you can definitely call a bet at the end at a profit. If you had made earlier bets that were big enough that the caller had no actual odds and the implied odds was not enough to make up for the bad call in the first place then calling at the end is still considered a profit for you. The only time you would fold in this situation would be if you are absolutely positive that you are now going to lose the rest of your money. If there is any question about your hand still being good you must pay off the caller but you do so at a profit.

NL holdem Theory and Practice. You need to know this information.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is this NL or Limit? In No Limit games you can definitely call a bet at the end at a profit. If you had made earlier bets that were big enough that the caller had no actual odds and the implied odds was not enough to make up for the bad call in the first place then calling at the end is still considered a profit for you. The only time you would fold in this situation would be if you are absolutely positive that you are now going to lose the rest of your money. If there is any question about your hand still being good you must pay off the caller but you do so at a profit.

NL holdem Theory and Practice. You need to know this information.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are still making profit OVERALL in the hand, because of your equity edge on previous streets.
If the chance that your opponent outdrew you is higher than your pot odds on the river, then it would still be more profitable to fold, though.