Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Live 6/12 BB special: Can I stop raising now?

6/12 at Canterbury. Loose game, but Nemesis is relatively non-stupid.

Milo is BB with a red 75o, and feeling pretty good after coming back from being stuck a rack (plus, I'm at Canterbury and not home with a screaming baby). Nemesis is UTG+1 and limps, as do two other players and the SB. Milo looks at his cards, grimaces, and announces, "I'll never bet this hand," rapping the table.

Flop is 469 with two spades, Milo announces, "Cool, I can bet that," and does. Nemesis calls, as does an LP player.

Turn is a red 8. Very cool. Milo bets, Nemesis raises, LP folds and Milo 3-bets, feeling very pleased with himself. Nemesis 4-bets, and Milo now ponders the possibility that Nemesis has foolishly limped in with T7s or some such trash, which would seem unusual for this player, but quite typical for this table.

It's Milo's turn to act, so he....
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Live 6/12 BB special: Can I stop raising now?

If table is loose and passive preflop, I wouldn't put T7s past villain, could he be capable of using Shania? You said he was non-stupid, was he non-loose as well?

Anyway I would say this guy has at least T7 or a set, possilbly 98 but you said he was non-stupid. So lets say he has a set, if you bet will he raise? If he will just call, then I prefer a check call line since he will almost surely bet when checked to on river. Plus a small set might not raise also, so the prospects aren't great for betting. I check and call.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 PM

raises one more time because a majority of the time villian has as set or an overpair he decided to get tricky with. If reraised again its a call and a check call on the river even if the boiard pairs.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:04 PM

if he has T7 I'm paying him off. I'm raising this till no end. now on the river if a spade hits, or board pairs. Then I slow down, but anything else I'm raising it till they tell me I can't raise.

If you scared of this flop and turn at all you shouldn't play 5 7 off.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:12 PM

raise again. almost no matter what profile this person fits, there will be enough of a chance he is raising a set (my guess) or an overpair. Just as you look at him and say "could you really have T7s?", he is looking at you and thinking "could he really have 57 or T7?". The answer to both thoughts will be a "not nearly likely," so villian is 4 betting a lot of second best hands. Upon being reraised, that's when I probably puss out and call down.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:34 PM

I'd consider calling and check/raising a non pairing river if your read is good.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks for confirming my thought that I played this WAY too weakly. I called the four-bet, but think I should've 5-bet, and called a six-bet (if he kept raising). The river was a harmless non-spade ten. I meekly check-called his set of nines.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for confirming my thought that I played this WAY too weakly. I called the four-bet, but think I should've 5-bet, and called a six-bet (if he kept raising). The river was a harmless non-spade ten. I meekly check-called his set of nines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-calling a To is really terrible. You're now chopping with the one hand you're afraid of. It's a freeroll, get some money in.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Milo raises. Too many other hands villian could have he could raise with besides 10/7. Slow playing trips possible, but unlikely do to connected board. Suited 8/9 more likely that suited 10/7, so are overpairs.
If you lose to 10/7, thats poker. More likely, you are padding your stack by raising this bad boy.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-calling a To is really terrible. You're now chopping with the one hand you're afraid of. It's a freeroll, get some money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was clearly not thinking here.