Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 PM

Default How does this Rome trip sound?

My roommate and I will be in Rome from Sept. 5th-8th. We will arrive around midnight on the 5th and will leave on the morning of the 8th. We're flying into Ciampino--planning on taking the shuttle/bus to Termini Station. Do shuttles run at this time of the night?

We will be staying at The Yellow, a hostel located on Via Palestro, about five blocks northeast of Termini. We probably won't do anything the first night, probably have a drink or two and go to sleep so we can get up early the next day.

The first day I was thinking about catching the metro to the Colosseum and working our way up the Roman Forum, ending at Campidoglio. We might throw in the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain as well.

The second day would likely be spent at the Vatican. We'd probably go through the Vatican Museum and into St. Peter's Basilica. Any advice on beating the crowds? Know of a nice place to eat in that area? I figure there's going to be a lot to see, and shouldn't be too ambitious on our second day of heavy sightseeing.

Does our plan sound reasonable? Is there anything really great that we've left out? What are your favorite things to do or see in Rome?

I look forward to hearing your advice.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: How does this Rome trip sound?

Sounds like a good itinerary for the short time you have. Airport trans is avail 24 hrs no problem. You might consider booking private transport in advance. Plenty of companies offer this for about 50-55 EUR in a newer Mercedes (it might be more late at night).

Be aware the area around Termini can be somewhat sketchy. Have a good time.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be aware the area around Termini can be somewhat sketchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Yellow Hostel is nice. Bring a padlock (tiny) to keep your things safe in the racks, you can buy there if you want. Stayed there last year, very convenient with its proximity to Termini. When you get into the station take the exit for Via Marsala and go down any of those streets perpindicular to Marsala as this will lead to Palestro. Staff is very nice. Itinerary sounds good. However, you might want to make Vatican City priority in that you see it (Sistine Chapel, etc.) I would do the Coliseum and the stuff that first day and then around 2pm, head over to Vatican City and try to get into the Vatican Museums at that time as all of the tours and big groups have been funnelled through. It is really insane how long these lines get and how they don't move in the morning. Just went in March and arrived at 2pm and walked right in no line. If there is a line, put it off till the next day and get there early in the AM and perhaps wait in line. If line is grotesque, wait again till 2 pm and try around then to get in as again the lines are nearly extinct as the tours have gone through.

Rome is a definite walking city and it is possible to see your sites by just walking. I would start at Coliseum, then walk the Forum, end at Campidoglio where you see Old Rome from one side and the new Rome (Vatican City) on the other side. [Michelangelo's intent when designing it.]

There is a Gelato place about 1/4 mile away from the entrance to the vatican museums on the opposite side of the street facing the Vatican Wall. It is called "Old Stone" Gelateria and it is very small and they give u an insane amount of gelato for cheap. It is the best in the city.

For dinner, head over to Trastevere and eat at a tiny ristorante family run place called "Da Enzo" Get there around 5 - 6 and make reservations if neccessaery as the place only holds maybe 20 people max. It is the best food in Rome.

The lines shouldn't be that big as school trips really don't exist that early in the school year for places.

You can knock out the Coliseum, Forum, Pantheon Trevi Fountain easily in under 3 hrs. Throw in the Spanish steps also and take a walk down to Piazza del Popolo.
The only thing you really need to see on the other side of the Tiber River is Trastevere and Vatican City.
No need to take metro to Coliseum. It isn't that far from your hostel and makes for a good walk. You can if you want just take Termini to stop Coliseo. I would walk it though.
Buona Fortuna
Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Wow. Some very good advice, there. Thanks a lot, I will definitely put it to good use.