Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Canterbury 8/16 K5s UTG. WTF was I doing in this hand?

Live 8/16. Players in this game are typically LAG-ish Canterbury 8/16 players. Assume for the purposes of this hand that you are at the tail end of a very frustrating session, are marginally up when you should be a 3,472 BB winner, and have racked up to leave.

I look down at K5s, decide to set fire to my 5BB victory, and stupidly limp UTG. Anthony (short, skinny Asian LAG) is UTG+1 and raises, which means he probably has a pair, an ace, two cards with paint, or a funny feeling.

MP, a sunglasses-wearing 15/30 player, who thinks he is way better than he is, and is being forced to play 8/16 because his game broke, three-bones it, which he does with a wide range of hands. Bad player in LP cold calls. Melanie pauses from chewing her ice and telling us all how she would have won the last hand if she had stayed in, considers 4-balling, then cold calls.

The only good player in the game folds the BB and I get ready to muck. I notice Anthony is already calling, which closes out the action, and count the 14 bets in the pot. Getting 7:1, I call.

Flop is KT4 with two spades. I have Kd5d, so I bet out. I totally suck at hand-reading, but am pretty good at reading emotions, so rejoice at the wave of revulsion I feel wash over the table. Everyone but the truly bad player calls, which is not good.

Turn is a red J, and naturally I bet again. Sunglasses and Mel call.

River is the Ks, putting both straight and flush on the board, and giving me trips. Having led with my K the whole way, I now check, planning to check-call because every possible draw has now come in except for an AJ preflop three-bet by Sunglasses.

Sunglasses insta-bets and Mel folds (later claiming QQ, which is probably [censored]). I suddenly decide Sunglasses MUST have AQ, but because I know I suck at hand-reading, and because the pot is big, and because I have trips for crying out loud, I call.

Please feel free to berate my play, but I already know that my original K5s limp shows how much I hate the dollars.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Canterbury 8/16 K5s UTG. WTF was I doing in this hand?

Pre-flop I fold to two more bets.

Gutsy lead out on the flop and turn. Because nobody raised I would say you have the only other K.

Got to call the river - very possible bluff.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM

I think that you can fold when it is reraised back to you PF. I take a wait and see approach to this flop. Typically, I will check and call one bet. Donking is pretty bad here IMO. On the river, you pretty much have to call as played. Check call is my preferred line, although I wouldn't overcall here.

How have the games been as of late? I should introduce myself sometime, as I am pretty sure that I know who you are.

GL,

HF
Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Wow is this loose, even for CP 8/16.
Milo I know you are a better player than that, please don't limp UTG with K5s and it seems a pretty easy fold when 2 more back to you.
As played I check/call flop and consider what comes on turn. As played you have to call the river with trips.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM

with all the draws out there and no raise from sunglasses on turn i would c/r river rather than c/c... wtf are we playing passively for - if we are playing K5s utg for 3 we sure as hell better make him feel sick on the river if he does have AQ - for the record i think we have the best hand a lot of the time on this river and sunglasses is trying to make sure he doesnt miss any value
Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 PM

ummmmm
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM

he just called the turn with AQ... you are struggling with hand reading
Old 08-13-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to hand read, I'd have to have gotten past this line, "I look down at K5s, decide to set fire to my 5BB victory, and stupidly limp UTG. ", which I did not.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have NO IDEA why I would suspect AQ there. This was the most unlikely of hands. In fact, nothing that beats me made any sense here as this guy would certainly have raised before the river.

In the end, I called and asked him to show me AQ. He showed the Q8 of red cards instead and MHIG.

Apparently, I was not the worst player in the hand.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM

I like his flop play.