Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 01:52 AM

Default Joe Morgan

I am Canadian so I don't get ESPN and almost never see Joe Morgan commentate games. Is he really as bad as people say he is please give some examples. My guess would be he is very bad commentator but he is still knowledegable about baseball. Even if he is a terrible commentator he must know a fair amount about baseball I mean he is one of the best second basemen of all time. So is he a terrible commentator and knows nothing about baseball? A terrible commentator who is knowledgeable about baseball? A good commentator?
FYI this is how I feel about Theisman a terrible commentator but he must know a lot about football.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Joe Morgan

I like Joe Morgan. Many of the MoneyBall folks hate him with a passion because Morgan has some kind of beef with the book. Whatever. He is still better than 95% of baseball announcers.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:05 AM

His grasp of on-field mechanics is very good, but he speaks like a man who knows about the front office side of things and he frankly has no clue. Along these lines, i recommend doing a google search of 'Joe Morgan Moneyball' for some good laughs. He's constantly spoken out against the book despite having not read it, and when asked will continually mention that unlike Billy Beane, he would never write that kind of book about himself. Billy Beane did not write Moneyball.

I've also found him to be racist. I'm not a racial alarmist, but the pattern of his complimenting black players and obstaining on others has caught my attention in the past. He states his unpopular opinions as fact in his articles, which I think is irresponsible. Among these are that Willie Mays is the greatest player of all time. No 'I think', no 'in my opinion'.

Recently, when the all-star game celebrated the 500 HR club, Joe sat in on a round table discussion with the honorees and somehow kept making the conversation about him. He was already on my bad side by then, so maybe I was looking for excuses, but it was blatant and ugly.

he's an ignorant man.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've also found him to be racist. I'm not a racial alarmist, but the pattern of his complimenting black players and obstaining on others has caught my attention in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 AM

I really like Joe Morgan, he understands the game very well and always calls a good game. The old Joe Morgan was always very critical of players and sometimes killed the mood of a game... but he's changed. Every once in a while he will come down hard on someone in a game but usually he is very positive and makes games he calls enjoyable to watch and listen to.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 AM

Joe Morgan's pretty bad. He has a tendency to go off on rants that, right or wrong, take away from the game. He's also wrong often, and then won't admit to it.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've also found him to be racist. I'm not a racial alarmist, but the pattern of his complimenting black players and obstaining on others has caught my attention in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] you not.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] you not.

[/ QUOTE ]

When asked on SportsCenter if he thought race had anything to do with the criticism of Barry Bonds he said "Absolutely not... and if it was a white man going to break the record, there would almost certainly be black people speaking out against him." or something along that lines
Old 05-31-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe Morgan's pretty bad. He has a tendency to go off on rants that, right or wrong, take away from the game. He's also wrong often, and then won't admit to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name 5 baseball broadcasters that are better than Morgan. And how does he not admit when he's wrong? Does Jon Miller call him out or something?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:36 AM

ok, let me rephrase. I have never once heard him say anything negative about a black ballplayer during a broadcast. It's more of a pro-black bias than anti-others, but that's still racism.