Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Default What do I believe a god can do?

I think it seems pretty obvious to most people that God could not create a square circle...or the like...and I hold this opinion (if you don't, feel free to share, I'm sure there is at least a few of you)

EDIT: by "obvious", I don't mean that it is obviously true..just that it seems obvious to most people..whether it is true or not really isn't the issue.

it just doesn't make sense for that to be possible..I don't even know the words I could use to describe what is wrong with the very idea of a square circle..but most of you probably see what the problem seems to be.. (if someone wants to try to explain what is probably in my mind on why this is not possible (or want to share what is in theirs), feel free)

I also hold that this is the same as overcoming logic (I don't say "human logic" because logic seems to me to be a universal thing..not that ew all know the same logic, but that it is essentially universally true..any opinions on this are welcome as well)

EDIT: well, not the "same", but that it seems like it would be just as possible as overcoming the square circle problem..because I can't see how either is more or less "definite" (or able to be broken)

but if I do not accept god's ability to overcome the problem with making a square circle as a live possibility, is there any basis for me to consider god's ability to overcome logic as a live possibility?, or god's ability to overcome the laws of physics?

becuase, I usually think of overcoming the laws of physics, or sometimes overcoming logic as live possibilities..but I'm not sure why [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Also, if you care to make an attempt to draw lines between some of these things and tell why they are not the same thing for our purposes, please do.