Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 PM

Default Party 5/10 nl

Ive been at the table for about an hour, and have been playing pretty solid, showing down good hands but winning post pots without showdown. Villian sat down not too long ago and I havn't played a hand with him yet.

I pick up AQ UTG +1 and make it 35.
Folds to SB who calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q 5 3r Pot(90)
Check, Check, i bet 75, Sb raises to 150, BB folds, I call.

Turn: 2o
Sb bets 200, I call.

River: 10
Sb bets 300..
Old 02-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Party 5/10 nl

Either she just has top pair, or she has a set. That's up to you to figure out! :-D
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM

well yeah, I was more wondering if theres a part of the hand i could have played better than the way I did.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Tough WA/WB spot here. I think you played it fine so far, and I lean towards a river fold. Your hand is rather well defined, and he's still firing at it on a dry board. This action reads just like a set.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 PM

Call. You have top pair top kicker. Will win most showdowns. No reason to raise since you only have top pair. SB could have A4,set, or two pair. I bet you win this 80% of the time.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM

Flop and turn are okay, given some sort of read. Most people will shut down on the river without a real hand.

Consider a small raise on the turn, and check behind on river.

River is only a call if you think she could make this play with KQ or a stone bluff, I don't think he can.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. You have top pair top kicker. Will win most showdowns. No reason to raise since you only have top pair. SB could have A4,set, or two pair. I bet you win this 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That 80% number is pretty ridiculous I think. I would expect to be ahead maybe 30% of the time. Very rarely would a solid player play this strong with KQ. I probably play it like you and then fold river.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:04 PM

I like how you played it but if you want a possible alternative... a play I might make here rarely is a small limit reraise on the flop possibly to 350$, just to mix up your play, 95% of the time that you make this raise you have a big hand so maybe try it with TPTK and you will get to the showdown much cheaper if he has some sort of strait draw or AQ KQ QJ... again I like how you played the hand and thats probably how I play the hand but, if you really want an alternative this play can be used once in a blue moon. Knowing your stack sizes would also be helpful.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you played it but if you want a possible alternative... a play I might make here rarely is a small limit reraise on the flop possibly to 350$, just to mix up your play, 95% of the time that you make this raise you have a big hand so maybe try it with TPTK and you will get to the showdown much cheaper if he has some sort of strait draw or AQ KQ QJ... again I like how you played the hand and thats probably how I play the hand but, if you really want an alternative this play can be used once in a blue moon. Knowing your stack sizes would also be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bad idea. That's going to make for a very akward turn and river... If you make that flop raise, what's your turn action if he calls?

I'm almost sold on the idea of a small turn raise. Maybe even a min raise to see if you can get a free showdown plus value out KQ possibly if he's a bad player/on a draw which is unlikely. Most of the reason would be for a free showdown.

Now that you got to that river and he fired again I really don't see him doing that w/ anything less than two pair if he's solid. Probably a high two or a set. I believe the river is a fold.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 AM

In the hand, I called, and sb showed AA.
I figured he had KQ here enough to make this a call, but looking back it probably should have been a fold. Of course maybe I'm being results oriented, who knows.