Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Default 150/300 Badugi don\'t really know what I\'m supposed to do

I had only played this game $1/2 before so clearly sitting 150/300 was my only realistic option when I got to Commerce. The game is very good and despite the fact that I don't know how to play this game and suck at Omaha 8 I am quite sure that I am a huge favorite anyway. In all the games hands are rarely going more than 1-2 bets on the first betting round, people are playing absolutely awful starting hands (I have seen half the table draw 1 at like 8-J Badugis repeatedly for 2 cold before the first draw). Villain in this hand seems more competent than the rest of the table in this game, however I hesitate to call him a good player simply because it is hard for me to give someone this much credit after only a day of playing together. Full 8 handed game.

I raise UTG with pat A237, get 5 calls I believe, including villain UTG+1 and both the blinds.

Check to me, I bet, villain raises, 2 coldcalls, I 3bet, villain caps, coldcallers call, I call, pat pat 1 1.

c/r or bet into him? I was later told to c/r the field here but I'm dumb so I just donk and he raises, both coldcallers fold as far as I remember. I am 3betting now or calling down?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: 150/300 Badugi don\'t really know what I\'m supposed to do

Only about 2% of badugis beat your 7-perfect. In order to be beaten your opponent need not only have been drawing live (no 76, 75, 74 or worse draw) but have caught a three-outer or worse. So you want to get your money in there.

I like the idea of check-raising to trap the field; you are not seriously worried about being outdrawn, particularly with the starting hand standards you mention. I can't believe he would check behind here enough to worry about checking.

The key question for how many raises to put in is, I think, what range he puts you on. We can roughly half the hand range for each raise that goes in. (Of course, some players are just spewy but let's assume at least some thought is going on and he's not trying to get a break.)

Say he assumes you've got a top-50% badugi. His raise is profitable if he's good half the time, or top-25%. Successive halves are: 12.5, 6.25, 3.125, ~1.5. That's six raises total. We've only seen four, so you should feel good about raising at once more on the big-bet streets.

(Even that seems a little weak to me but you've got to figure he either slows down soon or he's got the goods.)

If he puts you on a top-10% hand (roughly an 8 or better) then you need to slow down sooner and perhaps just call, or call and donk-bet the river.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:20 AM

Did I miss the first draw action? I only see the second draw, but Mark seems to be assuming villian was not pat to begin with.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:30 AM

I like how you played after the first draw, nobody is folding on the cheap street with a good 1 card draw (they should, but they won't).

c/r the field, this is standard TOP stuff, sounds like a simple error you made. To attone for your sins put in as many bets as is reasonable, keep going - your a favorite far more often than not, and it really sucks when your a dog because your gonna lose a whole ton of chips and there is nothing you can do about it since in the long run its the profitable line.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I miss the first draw action? I only see the second draw, but Mark seems to be assuming villian was not pat to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I pat and the others all drew 1 on first draw.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 AM

If he caps the turn and we check call the river are we ever winning if he's somewhat reasonable?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he caps the turn and we check call the river are we ever winning if he's somewhat reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no cap, its HU. and yes we are still winning often enough, yet at the same time I feel getting 4 bets in on the turn can compensate in the event the river goes check-check.

At the same time Bayes tells us that if we are only a 8% favorite its a +EV bet the river even if we expect to have to call a raise. Since its safe to assume the hero is greater than an 8% favorite its fine to lead on the river if the turn stops at 4 bets.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r or bet into him? I was later told to c/r the field here but I'm dumb so I just donk and he raises, both coldcallers fold as far as I remember. I am 3betting now or calling down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lead out, as you did. Too many of the betters players at this level will check after the first draw, hoping for a free one.

Using the same theory, they'll raise while the bets are still cheap. I keep pounding before the second draw. Villain has position on you, and if he has some experience, he may be planning ahead in order to lay a so-so hand as cheaply as possible.

jmo
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we 3 bet turn and he caps I'm calling and breaking. I would also consider breaking this if we CR the field and he 3 bets the turn, this is huge strength in a live game and the pot is sickly big.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Only 3 cards improve your hand, right? Are there odds here to call for a maximum 3 outer if you think you are behind?
I would think that the chance he is 4 betting a worse hand than the OP's would be better than the chance of improving to win if behind.