Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Standard or weak-tight?

Sorry, playing at work so no converter.

Obviously, I'm not happy when the BB cold-calls two on the flop, but when he shows no interest on the turn or river safe to put him on a missed draw. Too weak to check behind on the turn now that I've picked up outs against a King? Totally standard?

Dealt to CLEVERBEAVER [10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
TOMMYSINY - Calls $3
CLEVERBEAVER - Raises $6 to $6
SIDOMIJA - Folds
IGOR211 - Folds
FLALLIGATOR - Folds
STIR - Calls $3
TOMMYSINY - Calls $3
*** FLOP *** [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
STIR - Checks
TOMMYSINY - Bets $3
CLEVERBEAVER - Raises $6 to $6
STIR - Calls $6
TOMMYSINY - Calls $3
*** TURN *** [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
STIR - Checks
TOMMYSINY - Checks
CLEVERBEAVER - Checks
*** RIVER *** [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
STIR - Checks
TOMMYSINY - Bets $6
CLEVERBEAVER - Calls $6
STIR - Folds
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Standard or weak-tight?

Looks fine.

Edit: I didn't see the results before I answered.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 PM

I think that since your flop raise was just called on the flop, and that you turned an oesd, I would just bet the turn and collect from the drawing hands.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM

I think a bet needs to go in on the turn, especially if you think you need to call a river bet, it's better that the turn is bet and the river checked than the other way around.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

Is it? That 9 helps almost a a bunch of draws jus tas much as it helps me. If we get CR on the turn dont we puke a little but still have to call now that we have outs?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM

lol. the hands I post always get so much discussion. Maybe I should try posting the ones I think are boring
Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it? That 9 helps almost a a bunch of draws jus tas much as it helps me. If we get CR on the turn dont we puke a little but still have to call now that we have outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

It only helps JT. It also helps T9, but you beat that. Plus the fact you have two tens discounts the possibility of those holdings somewhat. Most times, no one has a straight on the turn so you can bet, hoping that if you are beaten by a King, that you improve on the river.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM

I would bet the turn.

It's very likely you have the best hand; I would play it as so.

You have straight outs, but you don't need them. I would check when I need the outs and not when I probably have the best hand.

This is an even easier decision when BB's in the hand. His flop cold-call screams flush draw. You can't give a free card here.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM

There is 65, 79, 89, 99, k9, I don't see JT for utg or BB but who knows. BB or utg can slowplay. We have to dodge a lot of cards if we are ahead, check the turn is the play imo.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Any kind of read on UTG has the ability to affect my play here, specifically his limping range and what criteria he has to donk out on a wet flop.

BB cold-calling the flop probably means hearts, 56, or 9T (maybe 69s if BB is a defender). Turn fills out 56 but it seems unlikely BB checks the turn with a made straight for fear of hearts or bigger straight cards on the river.

UTG is the problem and could have a wide range. The donk bet on the flop could mean a weak king, an 8, some kind of draw, hearts, really almost anything.

I think I lean toward a check against an unknown, UTG could have too many weak kings to safely bet for value, and the value you gain from inducing river bets from hands like A8 or 9T should offset the free card given to the obvious draw in the BB.

Weird hand.