Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Turning Stone Trip Report (Winter 2006)

I should go ahead and warn everyone that I wrote this on very little sleep. This is not some of my best writing, but I hope you all enjoy it.

It’s Saturday, November 25th. After I packed up a ton of crap (Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, computer, clothes, etc) I begun my drive to Upstate New York, around 11:00pm. The drive was much better than last time. You see, the exits on I-90 are about 30min apart. Last time I drove to TS I would get really excited when I was 2-3 exits away from TS, but in reality I still had a long way to go. Anyways I got there around 5:00am.

I went to the front desk, checked in, and found my room. I stayed with Ray (Exitonly), Randal (RandAllin), and Shaun (Shaundeeb). We stayed in this neat double room suite thing in the Tower. Anyways the $260-40 tournament started at 10:00am. I decided to play it. I figured if I busted out early I could play the Sunday tourneys, and if I lasted….then well, hopefully I’d be pwning. I tried to get some sleep, but failed miserably. I went down to the poker room to find Gobbo and Nath playing 3 handed 50/100 LHE. Afterwards I met Matt (mlagoo), and got some pre-game breakfast. My new pre-tournament breakfast is a bagel w/cream cheese and an orange juice.

Anyways, after being awake for about 12 hours already, I took my seat in the tournament. The field size was fairly disappointing, only 186 entrants. I sat down to find Matt (smittymatt) on my left.

I must apologize for my lack of recalling interesting hands. I will do my best.

The TS structure is actually quite good. For the lower buy-ins we started with 3,000 and 25/50 blinds. The 2nd level is 50/75, which is quite awesome. This is all ran with 30min levels.

Early on I played aggressively and managed to chip up to around 5k. I was feeling very good about my grasp on the table, and I felt as though people were starting to notice my aggressive play. A great example would be this hand.

A new player was just seated to my right. He came to the table with around 4k, and at this time I have 6k. He’d seen me re-raise one player preflop. Since I’m asian, with a lot of chips, this must mean I’m Tuan Le. So the next hand I pick up AKo in the SB. It folds to him on the button, and he makes it 450 at the 75/150 level. I raise to 1275 or so, and he 4 bet shoves on me. I obv insta call, he shows K9o, and I have 10k.

The next hand I can remember is at 200/400/50.

I’d been pwning limpers, and raising a lot pf. My image was more aggressive than ever, and I knew that players were starting to notice this. I believe I had a stack around 17k at this point.

UTG+1 limps, MP1 limps. I looked down at Ac5c in the CO and decide to just take a flop since I’d raised both of those players quite a bit recently and limp behind. Button folds, SB completes, BB checks. The flop comes As-7d-8d. Everybody checks to me and I bet 800. Folds around to MP1, who min-raises me to 1,600. I looked at MP1, and it was fairly clear he wasn’t confident. I call, and an 8 comes on the turn. As7d8d8x is now the board. MP1 fires out 2.4k with about 8k left. I shove, he mucked a flush draw face up. HOLLA

The next hand I can remember occurred at 400/800/75. I believe this is one of the only hands of the tournament I really regret.

I started the hand with 36k. I open the pot with 76s from the HJ to 2200. The sb and BB both call. The BB is an older man, who actually seems to be an ok player.

The flop comes 35T, rainbow. SB checks, BB fires 4k, with 19k behind. I put him on a weak ten, likely JT. We’re about 14 people away from the money, so I decide I can take him off the hand, and I’m not worried with the SB, as from looking at him he was obviously folding. I raise to 16k, SB folded. BB hems and haws, and shoves. It’s 10k more to me, and I have 7 high with a gutshot. I cry, and fold, leaving myself 20k. Old man in the BB showed QT….kljaklsj akljlk j WHY DIDN’T I SHOVE?

After the hand, a man across the table from me looks at me in absolute shock. He was previously talking about how he used to rail Stu Ungar, and talked about how great he was. I most definitely believe him too. Anyways he had some nice things to say, which I thought were pretty awesome.

“Ballsy bet kid…it’s as if Stu Ungar were reincarnated right in front of my eyes”

Haha, I’ve never been complimented on a failed bluff…that comment certainly made me feel better.

Anyways, we’re about 10 away from the money when the next hand comes up. I have 20k in the BB. Folds to the button who raises to 3k at 500/1000. I shove with T7o, and he calls with A9….D’oh.

Flop comes TQK, brick brick. …Wow

I know I haven’t mentioned many hands in this post, but this was the first time in the tournament I had been at risk of busting out. After winning this hand, I truly felt like it was meant to be mine.

A few hands later I bust out the same guy that had A9 with QQ > AT. I was back up to 42k, and it was an awesome sight to see everyone’s visible concern – now that I had chips again.

The tournament went on break, and a few people came up to me asking if I wanted to make a deal on the bubble. Another good young player named Steve, and I both objected. Everybody in the tournament looked pissed at us. OOPS! The older man who previously called me Stu Ungar asked my why I would object. I told him “I’d like to win 15k” (which was 1st)

He then replies “You wouldn’t mind to play for 11 hours and win zero dollars?”

I said “Pretty sick, huh?”

I had heard of how sick live bubbles were from others, but I didn’t realize how sick they were until I experienced it for myself. I was raising from any position with any 2. It was 600/1200 now, and everyone would just look pissed at me and fold. It was [censored] beautiful. Eventually myself and another fairly good player get into a hand. At this point we’re 2 away from the money.

It folds to him on the button, and he opens for 3.3k or so. I re-raise to 13k with KcJc. We both started with similar stacks, around 50k. It should also be noted that we’re both top 4 in chips. Anyways, to my dismay he calls, and we see the beautiful flop of

Ac-Js-9c

I decide to just shove my last 36k. I’d be calling any bet anyways, so I decided getting some FE out of my hand would be the best option. He thinks for a long time. He tells me he thinks he has the best hand, and that he has a jack….

WOW, THE OVERBET SHOVE WORKED, NOW CALL DRAWING TO A CHOP PLZ!

He folds, and tells me he had KJ. I told him he was drawing dead 

As I’m raking the pot, the old man across the table looks at me with a smile and says

“Wow, you really do want that 15k don’t you?”

Obv I gave him the “Damn right” smirk back.

Anyways the bubble eventually bursts, and we’re down to 13 players. The same player I pwnd with KJ is in the BB each time I’m UTG, and have raised his BB the last 3 orbits. Although I had reasonable hands each time. At this point I have about 70k, and he’s got 30k.

With blinds at 800/1600 I raise to 4600 with 2 black nine’s UTG. It folds to him in the BB and he shoves for about 31k total.

I look at him, and he stares right back. He says “C’mon man, you don’t have anything. This is the 4th time you’ve raise my BB.”

I was about to fold, but after he said that I decided to call. He showed AsKs.

The flop was not fun. It was Qs-4s-5x

Turn was Jd

River was the 9d

Holy [censored], I just won a huge race. Without thinking about it I picked up my hand and accidentally mixed it in with the river card. I go to sit down, and the dealer looks at me…the river was the 9s!?!??!

What?!!??! NO WAY. I would’ve seen the flush right away! The player with AKs is obviously trying to get them to rule that he had a flush, but the rest of the table defends me. PHEW. My heart dropped the moment he told me I lost, but I was lucky that the other 8 players all agreed I had the best hand.

Wow, so I now have 100k and am the chipleader with about 12 left. I don’t remember much else going into the final table though.

Quite honestly the rest of the tournament is a blurr. The next hand I can remember is when it’s 6-handed.

It’s the last hand before a break, and it’s well known that a raise preflop before a break has a higher % of success than raising at a regular time. Knowing this, I opened UTG with AJo. I believe the blinds at 4k/8k/1k and I open for around 22k. Folds to the CO who shoves for about 70k total. It folds around to me.

The CO had started shoving me on me, quite a bit. I believe the last 3 times I’d opened a pot he shoved on me. Before this he was very tight, only showing down good hands, but I thought he was adjusting well and perhaps I gave him too much credit. I started the hand with 115k, so if I were to call and lose I’d be in a bad spot. Anyways, I deduct that since it’s the last hand before break that he puts me on a wider range, and he’s been shoving over me a lot more. I truly think I have the best hand and call.

He shows AK.

“[censored]”

Or so I thought, until the flop came Jxx, and the turn and river bricked out.

My opponent was absolutely stunned. He started berating me for the call, and I could visibly see tears in his eyes. The man was at least 35 years old. It was pathetic. Everybody else in the tournament was obviously relieved, but everyone else told me it was a fine call. I later discussed the hand with some friends, and I think if I were put in that spot today I’d still make the call.

Well, I now have 200k, with 800k in play

Alright, I truly apologize for the rest of the tournament summary. This is really a blur.

5 handed, the next elimination comes with a middle aged man’s 55 beats an older man’s 88, AIPF. The older man was the same man I tried to bluff with 76s when he had QT. He was a very nice man and was sad to see him go out that way.

4 handed I have 1/3rd the chips in play and am looking great. Unfortunately this is when my luck starts reversing. I had AQ chop vs A7, AQ lose to AT – both AIPF. After losing both of these my opponents propose a chop.

Now, I really dislike chopping. I’d like to always give myself a chance to make the most amount of money, and maximize my expected value. Sadly, many things were going against me. Momentum was clearly shifting in the game after I got unlucky twice, I hadn’t slept in 26 hours, and all 4 of us had between 12-16 bbs. My skill edge wasn’t as exploitable as before, as my opponents were competent players. I accepted a chop where we all received $7,500, and the winner won $11,500. Afterwards I flamed out in 3rd when I reshoved with A4s and lost to A7.

I picked up my $7,500 and got it in cash. While I was walking back to the room it somehow slipped out of my sweatshirt and 75 $100 bills scattered across the ground. Luckily I was in an empty hall, and only one man saw me. I quickly tossed my jacket over the spreading pile, and picked it all up. LOL OOPS.

Once I got in the room, I think everyone could tell I was somewhat disappointed by the chop. I never really celebrated. I honestly don’t think it’s anything worth celebrating. As I write this I can feel the mixed feelings that came with chopping this tournament. I felt like I was in such great control – everybody was afraid of me. Thanks to everyone that railed my final table. The support was nice.

I would say the confidence from going deep in a live tournament is more valuable than the money I won that day.

The combination of me never placing higher than 19th in a tournament after the $260, and a bad memory means there’s little poker content left. Below is how I busted out of the 1k Main Event in less than an hour.

*Please note this is copy-pasted from my blog*

I wouldn't be the least bit shaken after busting from a live 1k tournament, unless it had the title "Main Event." Even then it's not something that'll bother me much. Anyways, I arrive at my table to find Jon Lewis, and one of the guys I chopped with from the $260. I'm also seated between 2 young kids.

If you know anything about live poker, you'll know the table doesn't sound great. Young people = good, Old people = awful. This table had 6/9 "young/good from past experiences" players. Although in a cash game I'd be very happy with 3 weak spots.

Anyways, the very first hand I 5-bet re-re-re-reshove allin. That's right I'm that awesome.

BB's sitting out (yea it's one of those hands), folds to the button who makes it 150. I'm in the SB with AKo and make it 475. The button, being the multiple level thinker he is (young kid, old people can't remember if they locked their keys in the car) 4 bets me to 1675.

Well... I clearly have FE, and vs the middle pairs I think I get a lot of folds. I really doubt he has AQ but a hand like TT-QQ makes a lot of sense. This tournament's structure is very good, comparable to WSOP. 5k to start, 60min levels. That being said, the action that's taken place so far leads me to believe that shoving here is far and away a winning play. Also, all the old people folded pf meaning my hand is very live (old fish would limp in pf with Ax, Kx). Whatever, if he calls I'm winning the flip anyways =)

So, I stick it in for 5k total, button tanks and folds JJ face up.

The 7 other people sitting at the table give me the "OMG YOU'RE [censored] GROSS" look, and we move on.

So, I have 6.6k at the 25/50 level and STILL go broke before 50/75 (Yea the 2nd level is 50/75 - very awesome)

Basically nothing else goes my way. I hit more flops, and get the best pf cards of the trip condensed into 1 hour and I go broke. Twice I opened the pot with 65s/68s - flopped a pair and a flush draw, and both times whiffed. One time I bet/check/checked, the other time I bet/bet/folded. Another time I reraised an MP raise of 150 and MP2 caller to 550 from the SB with AKo. The big raise is necessary to help take the hand down PF. NOT play the hand OOP like I did. Original raiser folds, decent player calls. Flop is 4h 4x 3h, I bet 850, they float and I c/f'd the 7h turn.

By this point I'm down to like 2.5k. MP1 opens for 325 at the 25/50 level - I jam AKo over it, get called, and lose to JJ on the KT79Q board.

The prop bet that Randal attempted was completely crazy. He realized it within the first hour of attempting. I just wish I could’ve bought some of the action.

We hosted the first live flipament. The floor got pretty pissed off that us, which they really have no right to do. We spend so much money on rake there/tournament entry fee’s, heaven forbid we have some fun. I’ll post the pictures below.

People that I met for the first time include Aaron Been, Matt (mlagoo), ActionBob, Randal, Thay3r, Stealthmunk, Will., HI, and Allen. People that I’ve already met/are friends with that showed are: Ray, Shaun, Clayton, Jeff, Kush, Jon L, Nath, Gobbo, Superfluous, Psyduck, Smittymatt, Miklan, Stoweski, and tdomeski. Sorry if I left you out on accident, I’m sure I left somebody out.

I got to hang out with Aaron a lot in our room playing online. Very cool guy, and a great player. I look forward to hanging out with him in Altantis, Europe, etc.

Actionbob gets props for hanging out with the younger crowd. I believe he’s in his mid-30’s, and I cannot imagine how awkward it must’ve been for him at times.

I hung out with mlagoo a lot and also played with him a bit during the tournament(s). Very nice guy, fun to hang out with.

Gobboboy really does pwn. He won like 30k on the trip, and is such a very nice person.

I hadn’t met Randal before this trip, and we shared a room together. Well, we had a 2-in-1 room, but we had one of the sections while Ray and Shaun took the other. Anyways, It was great to meet him, again very fun, cool guy.

Quite honestly, there isn’t a single person that I disliked during this trip, which seems to be a trend. 99% of 2p2r’s I’ve met have been class acts. I’m sorry for those listed if I didn’t give you a little blurb, but I respect all of you, and had a great time hanging out with you guys.

Everyone did very well in the tournaments. Nath won the $740+60, gobo won the $440, I chopped the $260, JLewis got 2nd in the tourney Nath won, psyduck, leo, shaun, and nath (2nd FT) all made final tables. Clayton cashed in the 1k, and Kush placed 4th in the 1k for like 15k or so. Aaron chopped the FTP $320 in our room, and Ray placed 6th in the 200r, won the UB $500, and placed 2nd to Randal in the FTP $150. Yes that’s right, Ray and Randal were in the same room playing HU in a big tournament. Pretty [censored] sick. Gobbo pretty much pwned every cash game there, winning over 30k on the trip.

I’m probably missing other people’s successes, but it should be blatantly obvious that we absolutely raped Turning Stone.

In summary it was another great Turning Stone trip. It was quite a hump to get over, to finally go deep in a live tournament (sorry again for lack of hands). I gained a lot of valuable experience and have more confidence in my live play than ever before. It was great to meet you all, and I look forward to seeing everyone in Atlantis.

-Adam Junglen

Superfluous Man, Nath, Psyduck, and Smittymatt

ALL-IN!!! (ActionJeff watching - he showed up late [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Randal on the left

Randal Wins!

LOL he got help from the floor with the pot

Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Turning Stone Trip Report (Winter 2006)

good stuff mate, enjoyed the read : )
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 AM

Good job Adam.

I did laugh at this:

[ QUOTE ]
Actionbob gets props for hanging out with the younger crowd. I believe he’s in his mid-30’s, and I cannot imagine how awkward it must’ve been for him at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me feel SO old (I turn 40 three days after I'm going to win PCA). I'll have my wife at PCA, so that'll dampen our 'hanging out' time, but when I think of you and the rest of these almost/barely 20-yr olds, I think of you as peers - so it wouldn't be awkward one bit for me to hang with you. Even though time has passed..inside my head, I still think I'm 20 anyway, except that I give more credence to the threats of jail and being sued than I used to. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 AM

I lol'd at "visible tears" and the tuan le comment. I think I know the guy that you were talking about who was comparing you to ungar. I think he was talking to me and Nath with the same kind of vibe lolz.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:29 PM

once again Adam, you pwn in writing trip reports. Congrats on the FT.

Great read and congrats to all again.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 PM

good tr, i wish i had a little more traveling money / lived closer to NY.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 PM

very nice read congrats on making the FT on no sleep
Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM

nice nice
Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks for writing this. Always enjoy these reads. Congrats on your FT.

G
Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 PM

it was fun for all even me and I think out of the 25 2+2ers I was like the only one down for the trip.

Only thing you forgot was randalls jeff impersonations.