Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Ask me about being a Québec separatist

As witnessed by the thread asking about Canada, there are clearly some misunderstanding or questions some of you would like answered about this subject, so, as a regular guy all for it, fire away.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a Québec separatist

What are the benefits to Quebec for separating?
What are the downsides?

For other non-Quebec Canadians what are the benefits?
What are the downsides?

Btw, im a BC Separatist. f ontario.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM

What's your goddamn deal, whiner?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Why don't you go back to France?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Are you passionate about the language issues in Quebec. Does it piss you off to see signs in English.

If it does, don't you think you should relax a bit?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM

1) Do you realize that Quebec is not economically viable by itself*?
*to e2, do you realize that BC isn't either?
(If Alberta wants to go it alone thy got a shot, everyone else would be in a *substantially* worse position than they were before).

2) Do you feel guilty being part of a movement that has been seriously detrimental to Quebec? Regardless of whether Quebec ever separates or not, it is a matter of fact that big businesses (including, but not limited to, major sport leagues) have seen Quebec as a bad place to do business given the instability and events like the FLQ crisis. Indeed, a large part of the growth of BC in recent decades has been at the cost of Quebec.

3) What do you think of the FLQ crisis?

4) Are you offended if you see a sign advertising a business and the English letters are the same size as the French ones?

5) What would you say to someone who says that referendums have been held a number of times and you've lost, it's time to move on and it's patently unfair to just keep voting on the issue until you get your way at which point you will argue that its what Quebec wants.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM

Are you saying you are for it? Okay - then I definitely have some questions for you.

1) What gives any province the right to declare itself independent?

2) What about the Cree Nation living in Quebec who certainly predate all Canadians? Would you plan on displacing them? Or just make them take French lessons?

3) How do you plan on supporting yourself economically? The Bank of Canada certainly won't. What would you use for currency? If the decision is made - why would the rest of Canada support Quebec at all (economically speaking)? Would Quebec plan on taking its share of the national debt along with it?

4) The argument is often made that Quebec is unique. True. But so is Newfoundland, The Yukon, and virtually every other area of the country. That's what makes Canada so great. What makes Quebec so special that it deserves status as its own nation?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As witnessed by the thread asking about Canada, there are clearly some misunderstanding or questions some of you would like answered about this subject, so, as a regular guy all for it, fire away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you blame the english and "les ethniques" for all of Quebec's problems?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM

The biggest benefit for me is the fact that it is an affirmation to the world that there is this piece of land in North-America that id french-speaking and really different than the rest of it. For me it is mostly for cultural reasons. I want the french fact to remain live and well and to me, the best way to ensure that is to take all of the responsibilities as a people and get our total independance from Canada. I think it will give people a bigger sense of responsibility and will create a new political landscape - i.e. left-right parties instead of separatist-federalist ones. People whom want to live here will know that things are going on in french instead of thinking that Canada is all english. I often say to english speaking folks that if Quebec was an english province in a french Canda it would already be independent.

Downside is that some of the population will get angry at first and also there will be transition costs to get things rolling in a new country, in a new constitution, etc. Tough choices creating tensions will have to be made, probably a tighter budget.

For Canadians, well, it will be good in the sense that they will have a new and friendly neighbor to talk to instead of an annoying minority impossible to satisfy. The feeling that they maintain us to their level with money won'T be there anymore, too. No more energy lost trying to accomodate Québec into the constitution.

I guess Canada will have a harder time to differenciate themselves from the US now that their biggest difference is not there anymore. No more bilinguism.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your goddamn deal, whiner?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't whine. Québec federalists whine.