Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Default i let him take control, then a bad card comes

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $200.00
BB: $85.20
UTG: $115.65
MP: $37.00
CO: $167.15
Hero (BTN): $242.00

Reads: <font color="blue">opp is 37/11/2.1 over a few hundred hands.

i have been TAGy</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.00</font>, SB folds, BB calls $5.00

Flop: ($15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $7.00</font>, Hero calls $7.00

Turn: ($29) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $30.00
Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: i let him take control, then a bad card comes

damn. this is a weird spot. even though he's not very aggressive, I think I peel turn and fold to another strong river bet. check behind if checked to.

the flop call isn't normal for me though. he basically donked into you. i usually raise flop, fold if he 3-bets. if he calls the raise and checks turn, i check behind for pot control and call river bet.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 PM

you dont like giving these guys the chance to get a worse hand 3 streets? hes less than half stacked if u didnt notice.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:48 PM

not saying you are wrong btw, just pointing out me thinking so it can be worked over.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 PM

i agree w/ nation, raise flop. your hand is not that strong, so i dont know about the chances of him getting a worse hand. it's not like you have a set and are dying to see him hit 2pair...
Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM

what the [censored] a flop raise is soooo bad. what are you trying to get value from, QT? If he's donk/calling the flop with QT than sublime gave us a [censored] read. Otherwise you might as well have 72o if you're going to raise/fold the flop.

The only time raising the flop would be good would be if you knew that it would induce a shove with air, but like, this board is SOOOO dry that would pretty much be nuts here.

i might call the turn, might not, depending on recent history with this guy. you need to decide whether he thinks that ace is a good or bad card for you and you really need to consider recent history.

against an unknown i let him have it. our hand really is [censored] here, all we beat is 45, maybe some turned flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
even though he's not very aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

what? have you ever used pokertracker? 37vpip + 2.1 AF = pretty gd aggressive. this would make me lean towards a call on the turn, but his pot sized bet is pretty scary.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:33 PM

I fold the turn because he seems like the player to have no idea what he's doing and has you crushed here often. He's a little to deep to find that out imho.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Calling turn and folding river is really bad because villain only has $40 left after the bet. Etiher fold or put him all-in, but don't call.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 PM

raising flop is fine. it's not like you have A4 on a Axx flop. your queen is vulnerable to ace and king overcards where loose players will defend their blinds with. this guy can definitely have more combos of a Queen card than Q10. he will call your raise if he has a queen with those stats in these situations 95% of the time.
------

i dont think calling flop is bad but with all due respect i think your advice that raising flop is "baaaaad" is wrong. it is definitely +EV against 37/11 guys when you have position. it probably wouldn't be good against a tag.

Of course if you think villain is hyper agg type that will 3bet shove with air then maybe just call but then you better call the turn too as your play is to have him bluff his stack away.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM

mason,

in my experience 37 vpip doesn't mean aggressive. all that means is he plays a lot of hands. 37/11/2 is pretty passive actually; these players are known as the "calling station." this is why a flop raise isn't bad, because they call with tons of crap.

i could be swayed that a call is better than a raise on the flop, but you're not going to convince me that it's "soooooo bad."