Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Time to change all star voting?

I think there are pretty clear inequities here. It's basically the Red Sox/Yankees show in the AL, I haven't really followed the NL selections over the last few years. I think going back to only voting in the parks, and having a limited number of ballots would be a great improvement. e.g. Each team gets 30,000 ballots for each home game or something similar.

All together better would just to have a panel select the team, because there are quite a few ridiculous things being voted for.

Pudge (42 G, 90 OPS+), Mauer (28 G, 150 OPS+) and Varitek (40 G, 115 OPS+) are top three for the AL Catcher. Clearly none of these guys should be starting in front of Jorge Posada (47 G, 165 OPS+) or Victor Martinez (43 G, 137 OPS+), although Mauer would deserve consideration had he stayed healthy.

At second base, Robinson Cano (76 OPS+) leads Placido Polanco (114 OPS+) and Ian Kinsler (100 OPS+). Once again, the two best offensive second basemen this year are unrepresented. Dustin Pedroia (118 OPS+) has turned around his slow start while B.J. Upton (147 OPS+) has been an absolute monster at second.

The best offensive players at short, third and first will be represented, although it's a farce that Justin Morneau (156 OPS+) has no shot at overtaking Ortiz (168 OPS+). He's probably been more valuable when taking into account defense at first base. Of course, Youkilis (163 OPS+) is the best choice, but he's not on the ballot.