Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Ask me about being a Québec separatist

[ QUOTE ]
Would the eastern provinces join the US if Quebec separated? I've heard rumor that there's a plan for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

Why does everyone keep assuming that parts of Canada can just "join" the US??? It doesnt work like that at all! (And ESPECIALLY to people suggesting that the US would want MEXICO???) Have you lost your freakin mind???

What good would it do the US to annex or GRANT (as in, Canada cant just take it or ask nicely for it) statehood to any part of Canada

There's a reason Puerto Rico is not a US state. Come to think of it, neither is Washington DC, despite some clamoring for it. If DC isnt getting statehood anytime soon, what chance does anywhere else have?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 AM

Puerto Rico isn't a state because they don't want to be. They've been choosing the Status Quo- ie no Federal taxation- which is what I would do to if I was Puerto Rican.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would the eastern provinces join the US if Quebec separated? I've heard rumor that there's a plan for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

Why does everyone keep assuming that parts of Canada can just "join" the US??? It doesnt work like that at all! (And ESPECIALLY to people suggesting that the US would want MEXICO???) Have you lost your freakin mind???

What good would it do the US to annex or GRANT (as in, Canada cant just take it or ask nicely for it) statehood to any part of Canada

There's a reason Puerto Rico is not a US state. Come to think of it, neither is Washington DC, despite some clamoring for it. If DC isnt getting statehood anytime soon, what chance does anywhere else have?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 AM

I'm a quebecer as well so hi,

I'm at crossroads when it comes to my polical stance but this is my question for you sir:

What did you think when Parizau (sp??) said: " we lost because of the ethnic vote and the money? "

When he lost the referendum.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:55 AM

Don't you think it's a little embarrassing for grown-up, rational people to be passing laws and having referenda about culture in the 21st century?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Puerto Rico isn't a state because they don't want to be. They've been choosing the Status Quo- ie no Federal taxation- which is what I would do to if I was Puerto Rican.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that's fantastic

now what about the other 99% of my post
Old 12-15-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think it's a little embarrassing for grown-up, rational people to be passing laws and having referenda about culture in the 21st century?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has to be the stupidest reply i've seen on 2p2... ever
Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Has there ever in Canada been a movement to get rid of French as a language or remove French cultural influence? OP's minority wanting to survive statement would make sense if this were the case, but if not his statements are getting more ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]Sure there was.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...ms=A1SEC820948

http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/AXL/amnord...a-loi-1890.htm

If you can read a little french this is interesting also : http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/AXL/amnord/cnd_antifranco.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those English links are about events over 100 years old. I can't be bothered to sort through the French one. So, basically, "LOL", those links are absolutely irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]Yah it's so annoying when facts get in the way, bummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those facts are entirely irrelevant to the conversation. You're talking about things that happened over 100 years ago. Yes, in 1890 there were some attempts by English Canada to crush the French language.

In 2006, there is no active movement in Canada to repress French language and culture. There is, however, a movement to repress English language and culture in Quebec. This is a fact, most obviously shown by the language laws, and French school laws, as described by Hopey.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is now way that this could ever happen. For starters, there's all sorts of constitutional issues which, if you've followed Canadian politics in the 80s and 90s, has been seen to be a massive barrier to anything.

Also, anti-US sentiment in Canada >>>>>>>>>>>>an ti-Quebec sentiment in English Canada. It's not even close, and no one in their right mind would suggest that English Canada will wave bye-bye to Quebec while happily hoisting the red, white, and blue.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this has to be the stupidest reply i've seen on 2p2... ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, doesn't your province have a law saying that every sign has to have French wording at least twice as big as any other language on the sign? Seriously, what legislator said to himself, "Well, poverty, racism, war, all that stuff we can deal with later. Today, we need to address the evils of comparative lingusitic signage!" So some Quebecois speak French and a hundred years ago another Francophone was persecuted. Who gives a [censored]? This stupid pointless Big Endian/Little Endian nationalism really has no place in a modern country.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:02 AM

I don't see what the big difficulty with the Eastern provinces joining with the US would be. Ontario would be cut off from the provinces by the French separatists, so maybe those provinces would rather be with their Mainer brethren....