Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Need advice. (not long)

[ QUOTE ]
Read SSHE, play tighter and you should be able to beat 10NL. I'd say that your BR should be a bit higher if your playing that level...

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE = limit
Old 09-28-2006, 01:07 PM

My advice is to keep playing NL10 but make some changes. I am no pro but here are some suggestions:

1. Play tighter. Tight preflop usually means you voluntariliy put money into the pot 20% or less (so don't include checking the BB).

2. Observe the other players very carefully. Notice guys who enter every other pot. Notice what hands people raise with and which they limp with.

3. Observe bettting patterns. Players will tell you whether they are on a draw or not by doing the same thing with such a hand over and over.

4. When you have a good hand and there is a draw, bet enough to make them pay too much for their draw.

5. Don't slowplay or use fancy plays. If you have a good hand, bet it.

6. Reduce the amount of times you bluff. This will not work against bad players. However, if you observe someone folding to bets alot, try bluffing him.

7. This one is debatable but when you have the nuts on the flop or the turn, move all-in. You'll be amazed at how many times you are called.

8. Make notes on players. If you stay at this limit you will come across the same players often.

9. Get Poker Tracker and use it.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 AM

In Full Tilt Podcast #2 Chris Ferguson talks about how he turned $1 into $20,000 playing NL online. He started on the 1c/2c tables.

You can download the interview from,
http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/multiMedia.php
Old 09-29-2006, 01:31 PM

Don't move up. Bonuswhore. I've turned my initial 100 at partying into almost 1k. Not much for most people but good for me. 1/2 the money came from Bonuses.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:23 AM

Here is very underused play at this level:

Raise/check/fold. It's a real BR saver.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:28 PM

I haven't read the rest of the responses yet, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway (and then I'll read the rest).

I know you're going to do what you want, but instead of moving up, I think you should concentrate on beating the level you are on. Read a book that caters more to NL ring games, and use the $10 tables as a way to perfect your game. Try not to think of the money unless your bankroll takes a hit. Try to seperate yourself from the thrill of winning and the frustration of losing. Set a goal for your bankroll. When you reach that goal, move up. Don't be afraid to move back down again if your first venture into the higher level doesn't work out. The fact of the matter is, you are blaming your lack of success on poor players, and that just doesn't make sense. If these opponents are poor players, you should be beating them especially if you are constantly up against 8 of them at any given time.

Look at it this way. Let's say that, over the next couple of years, you perfect your game, you build a bankroll, and you find yourself playing in a $200NL game. This table happens to be full of calling stations. Eight players are seeing every flop even against a raise. This can be quite a frustrating situation, but if you had stuck around the $10NL tables long enough to learn how to beat them, you would stand to make a TON of money at that $200NL table that mimics a standard $10NL table in every way except the amount of money you are playing for.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:49 PM

When I was 3 tabling 10NL and had 75$ 65$ 45$ at the tables I knew it was time to move up. Also 25NL gets a bit more tougher then 10NL as there are more decent players but still alot of fish
Old 09-30-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read a book that caters more to NL ring games...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a good NL cash book: http://www.amazon.ca/Mastering-No-Limit-...TF8&s=books