FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Led Zeppelin Is Just a Great \"COVER\" Band

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Friends

[/ QUOTE ]

o/t sorta but this is by far my favorite zep song, I just love this thing. Is that weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yes, yes it is weird. I like it too but by far #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

well maybe not by far but I think its awesome and underrated.. or maybe not rated at all.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 AM

I don't care one way or the other (except for the standard disclaimer that I'm a Stern subscriber).

But some of the silliest posts I've ever read are in this thread. They say things like, "They didn't steal it, they covered it," and "I never heard the original, but I expect that it didn't sound anything like LedZep's version."

When you release an album, and give yourself a song-writing credit for every song, with no credit to any other songwriters, then you didn't "cover" anything. Anyone who defends LedZep in this thread with the word "cover" is being disingenuous.

And please don't comment on how different the LZ version sounds from the original, if you haven't heard the original. Do you have any idea how silly that sounds?

I heard part of the Stern segment today, and trust me, if you tuned in midway, you would've thought that it was a segment on blues and folk musicians doing covers of LZ songs--and then you would've found out that these blues and folk people had been playing these songs since the 1950's.

It was that bad. I think even LZ's staunchest supporters in this thread would change their minds if they heard the clips played back-to-back as Stern did today.

friends is an awesome song and I listened to it quite a bit this one week a few years ago when I was being overly emo-douchey.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Friends

[/ QUOTE ]

o/t sorta but this is by far my favorite zep song, I just love this thing. Is that weird?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yes, yes it is weird. I like it too but by far #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

well maybe not by far but I think its awesome and underrated.. or maybe not rated at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha yea, not saying it's a bad song or anything, but for it to stick out of the catalog is interesting, this isn't the first time Ive heard the statement however.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 AM

Anyone who knows anything beyond the most basic info of Zep knows this already.

"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal."

Yea they probably should have mentioned in concert more what's up with certain songs (like Nirvana), which they did with some songs from bootlegs I've heard but not Dazed and a few others.

When I first heard the tracks compared to each other years ago I was pretty shaken, but I think it's much better for a song to live on and be heard and loved by many, even if under somewhat false pretenses, than be heard by almost no one at all.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 AM

1) Those of you who didnt listen to it live or on a replay or download the link I gave you and listen should not even post in this thread.

2) Youtalkfunny is completely correct. Once you listen to the segment, it is just insulting and repulsive.

3) Makes me appreciate The Floyd MUCH MORE even then before.

4) Yes Plant is a great vocalist, page one of the best guitarist and one of the best drummers ever. But too bad their best songs are not their own creations. Doh!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4) Yes Plant is a great vocalist, page one of the best guitarist and one of the best drummers ever. But too bad their best songs are not their own creations. Doh!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me why I should care, much less be insulted or repulsed.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me why I should care, much less be insulted or repulsed.

[/ QUOTE ]

BECAUSE PINK FLOYD IS BETTER AND FOR REALZ LDO>
Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin is my favorite band but it seems even to me that they may have been a little shady with how they copied some of this stuff. It did seem much more common for this kind of stuff to happen back then though. Either way, they have more than enough completely 100% original hits to prove that they were great songwriters in addition to being great musicians. Plus, they put a Led Zep spin to all their "covers" so by the time Led Zep was through with some of the songs they didn't sound nearly like the original. Still unethical though.

Take "In My Time of Dying", my favorite Led Zep song. If you have the DVD, you know Plant's little verbal introduction of the song.

"This is a song that uh, came from the deeps, the Deep South of um, the Deep South of America and, and ended up consequently in Earl's Court. If you believe."

I've never heard the original but I bet it sounded almost nothing like Led Zep. It was probably much more bluesy where as Zep's version is much more metalish.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard a version by Josh White (good luck finding it now, it's probably unavailable anywhere on the internets), and it's my favorite old blues version of it. It's got a dark haunting mournful feel to it. Bob Dylan also covered this pretty well, and I know one of the Blind Willie's covered it (probably Blind Willie Johnson, too lazy to lookup).

The Zep version certainly doesn't SOUND like the original due to the pounding drums and distorted slide guitar, but I think it captures the emotion of original song. It's very intense.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Friends

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got the studio outtakes for this song, where they're showing the bombay symphony orchestra (or something) what to play. If you're interested, I can dig it up for you.