Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Default \'Mr. Brooks\'. How is this movie not getting talked about? No spoiler

OK, I don't like having 2 threads going at once (so pardon me) but I went to see Mr. Brooks last night and was blown away. I go to a lot of movies and hadn't seen a single trailer for it, hadn't seen any upcoming adds for it or anything at all until it hit the theaters. And it has a GREAT cast. I'll just say that, Whoa!!!, 'Mr. Brooks' is a seriously heavy-duty movie (something I had hardly expected), intense and interesting, with great acting by all especially Demi Moore and William Hurt. And, finally, Kevin Costner in a role he seems made for.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: \'Mr. Brooks\'. How is this movie not getting talked about? No spoi

How did Demi look? She still as raspy as ever?

fyc
Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 PM

It's a 56% on RT, and 52% in the "Cream of the Crop". The reviews I read generally trashed it.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a 56% on RT, and 52% in the "Cream of the Crop". The reviews I read generally trashed it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. Pretty much every review I've read said it was fairly terrible. At some point in my life, I started feeling bad for Kevin Costner. I thought, 'This guy's not a terrible actor, but for some reason he just stars in dud after dud after dud." Then I realized he is a terrible actor.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hadn't seen a single trailer for it, hadn't seen any upcoming adds for it or anything at all until it hit the theaters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching a great movie under the above conditions in a theater is rare pleasure indeed. Its adds so much to the experience yet given the amount of media saturation/interwebs it is nigh on impossible for a movie to sneak in under the hypedar.

I think the last film I saw under these conditions was Pulp Fiction due to me being a foreign country (America)
Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is GOOD and I know movies. There isn't a dull, lagging, moment in it. It's horrifying, mesmerizing, disturbing and 'funny' at varying times.

Demi Moore looks fine (boy, is she EVER good enough for me, as if) and gets her own great action scene. William Hurt is absolutely delicious.

And it has the incredibly adorable semi-newcomer Danielle Panabaker who is close to replacing Anne Hathaway as my new dream girl.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

I thought it was awesome. Cool premise, hot wife /daughter, suspenseful, William Hurt/Demi Moore, whats not to like?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Roeper liked it.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is GOOD and I know movies. There isn't a dull, lagging, moment in it. It's horrifying, mesmerizing, disturbing and 'funny' at varying times.

Demi Moore looks fine (boy, is she EVER good enough for me, as if) and gets her own great action scene. William Hurt is absolutely delicious.

And it has the incredibly adorable semi-newcomer Danielle Panabaker who is close to replacing Anne Hathaway as my new dream girl.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please share five to 10 examples of movies you like in the same or similar genre.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM

There IS no similar genre and that's one of the great things about this movie. It's fresh. Sure, there are movies with these elements separately but not brought together like this.

If I had to list movies that I like because I think they were different from everything else I'd pick movies like 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind', 'Brazil', 'Adaptation', 'Memento' and 'Requiem for a Dream' as examples.