FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 PM

Default good trips in BB on raised multiway flop

Paradise Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $1.5</font> (average characteristics, not too Loose/Tight or Agg/Passive)
MP2 calls (Loose)
2 folds
Button calls (Loose Passive)
SB folds
Hero calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($6.25, 4 players)
Hero ???
Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: good trips in BB on raised multiway flop

stacks??

bet 2/3 pot.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Hero checks.

If MP1 checks you still have a chance that MP2 or the button bet. If they bet then I'm looking for a chance to get all of their chips by the river since it's likely they have a worse Ace.

If MP1 bets and gets a caller then I'm calling and seeing what MP1 does on the turn (it's doubtful he fires again into 2 players without Ax or better).

If MP1 bets and the others fold then I play passively and check-call anything reasonable on the turn/river.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Forgot stacks

Button: ($65.90 in chips)
Hero: ($74.75 in chips)
MP1: ($46.10 in chips)
MP2: ($75.15 in chips)

As you can see this is a pretty tricky situation as the advice thus far has been quite different.

beavens, is 2/3 pot your standard Flop value bet or is it slightly lower or higher because I usually make a Full Pot bet in those situations. Is there a benefit to betting 2/3 pot rather than full pot in this specific situation?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:58 PM

Any more comments before I reveal what happened?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 PM

pot the flop. However I would have probably raised the PF action to $3-4 you would have gotten 1 caller easy and I like AJ from the BB.

Also when I have position I like to get the pot heads up especially when I have pot control. I feel more comfortable in a heads up situation then I do playing multi-way. This comes from my extensive history playing Tournament poker before making the switch to NL Cash games. I like to be the aggressor and make my opponent make the tough calls(I dont like being a caller, raise or fold).
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM

Results:

Paradise Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $1.5</font>, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($6.25, 4 players)
Hero checks (information), <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $1.5</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls (Figured this for a WA/AB with a bet and a cold caller and wanted to minimize the pot and get a cheap showdown.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10.75, 3 players)
Hero checks (same thing), <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $1.5</font>, Button calls, Hero calls (Great, now AK, AQ, AT, AND A9 all have me crushed. What is the Loose Passive button calling two streets with? What would MP1 raise PF and bet two streets with? Isn't this what I wanted, a cheap showdown in a WA/WB situation? What hands would call a check-raise in this situation that I beat? So I call for the cheap showdown.)

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($15.25, 3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $4.5</font>, Hero folds (When a Loose Passive player bets 1/3 of the pot, he likes his hand. Seeing as how most of the Aces that would call a preflop raise are ahead of me, and there is still the original preflop raiser to act behind me who has a slim chance of slowplaying a monster, I don't have over 25% pot odds to call), MP1 folds.
Uncalled bets: $4.5 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $15.25

I'm not sure if Leading Out would get me a cheaper showdown on the River because I might have to call a Minraise. The River also made a straight possible. Somebody could also have made a Full House with a pocket pair at some point so this isn't as weak tight as it seems.