Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit
Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

as for that "Broken Flowers" movie:

I like Bill Murray in general, however I found myself bored after 20 minutes and shut it off. Maybe it got more interesting later on, however there did not seem to be enough interesting things happening in this movie during the part that i watched.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the da vinci code - Decent, I sort of enjoyed it, mainly because I hadn't read the book and wanted to catch up with the rest of the world.

lord of war - Loved it from intro to end.

an inconvenient truth - I'm not sure everything in it is accurate and it's not really that special, but I still think it's something everyone should see.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-19-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the da vinci code - Decent, I sort of enjoyed it, mainly because I hadn't read the book and wanted to catch up with the rest of the world.

lord of war - Loved it from intro to end.

an inconvenient truth - I'm not sure everything in it is accurate and it's not really that special, but I still think it's something everyone should see.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrote before reading the rest of the replies, and I'm quite surprised that most seem to dislike LoW. I have weak memory of really liking the intro, thinking Cage was pretty good for the part, and thinking the photography was good. I was however watching it with friends while drinking whisky, so my judgement could've been off.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I saw The Break Up with my gf, and neither one of us liked it. Something about the way they fought made both of us extremely uncomfortable, like if we actually knew these people and they were having a fight in front of us when we all went out to the bar together. So it wasn't so much funny as it was painfully awkward the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of how I feel about the TV show Everyone Loves Raymond although probably on a smaller scale.
There are some funny lines in there. But the fighting and negativity even in that relatively light-hearted TV show just rubs me the wrong way.
Just not appealing or funny at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the very same about Everybody Loves Raymond, hate that show. so uncomfortable. I didn't feel that way in The Breakup though.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 AM

Note: this is grunched and only the movies I've actually seen.

last holiday - you can skip it

the da vinci code - skip it

the weather man - skip it

bubba ho-tep - definitely see it

the break-up - skip it

capote - toss up...I really liked it but it's a bit slowish

this film is not yet rated - quite good...not a must see but interesting to me since I didn't know the first thing about how retarded the whole rating process is

ong-bak the thai warrior - really cool martial arts...the movie itself is sorta dumb but I haven't seen anything that cool in terms of the martial arts

broken flowers - I really liked it....not must see though...you have to like those atmosphere movies without much action or obvious "point" to them

y tu mama tambien

the squid and the whale - liked it. Not must see, bit pretentious

kiss kiss, bang bang - see it....very entertaining and fun

shopgirl - similar to broken flowers in terms of whether or not one will like it IMO. I liked it more and felt it portrayed a refreshingly honest angle on relationships

Yugoslav
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's not on free PPV, but Alpha Dog is available and it's shockingly entertaining. There's a lot of mistakes and a few flat horrible parts, but it's fun, Olivia Wilde gets naked, and JT is pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

One would figure that the ad-wizards would have found a way to get this more attention...

And after reading through more of this thread, I just have to reiterate how much I hated "The Squid and the Whale." Think "Happiness" without any of the redeeming qualities...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM

All,

I will watch all of these movies and then come back and reference everyone's recommendations and let you all know who has good taste in movies.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
invincible
last holiday
the da vinci code
waiting
lord of war
four brothers
the weather man
bubba ho-tep
the break-up
the omen
into the blue
find me guilty
capote
be here to love me: a film about townes van zandt
the assassination of richard nixon
this film is not yet rated
click
ong-bak the thai warrior
broken flowers
intacto
ghosts of abu ghirab
an inconvenient truth - 9
y tu mama tambien - 8
bus 174
posiedon
freedomland
the squid and the whale- 7
constantine
kiss kiss, bang bang
the chronicles of narnia
shopgirl
the motorcyle diaries - 8
north country
brokeback mountain - 8

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen the unbolded ones. My home viewing is dominated by TV series DVDs. (And still, I haven't seen an episode of Deadwood, 24, Six Feet Under, past Season 1 of Sopranos I'm sure I'm forgetting alot of great stuff.)

-Al
Old 06-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Rotten Tomatoes
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 AM

I liked The Weatherman a lot. I dunno why you expect it to suck. I have no idea how to go about reviewing a movie...but ya, it's good--funny and interesting.

I just skimmed through some of ur lists, but Broken Flowers wasn't that great. I dunno, fer me it's like watching the Jewelry Channel--it's relaxing n helps me fall asleep. But, not that entertaining (n i'm a huge Bill Murray fan--Groundhog Day= one of my favorites).

I want to see Four Brothers...I like movies w/ badasses in them. I don't want to see Poseidon and am surprised that you do. That preview looked f'ing horrible.
Closed Thread