Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Ask Misfire anything about the LSAT/Law School Admissions

I just finished writing my LSATs on the 10th. When can I expect the results? The proctor said "around" March 5th, what does that actually mean?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished writing my LSATs on the 10th. When can I expect the results? The proctor said "around" March 5th, what does that actually mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks earlier, at least this was how it was for last decembers test
Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks earlier, at least this was how it was for last decembers test

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine in 20 days. Check the LSAC website in a couple weeks. You can download your report a few days before it'll come in the mail.

SBR, did you get my PM?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 AM

I understand that the normal route is to take the LSAT during your last year in college...but lets say for example that I really like taking standardized tests and decide to take it during my second year in college...will this have any effect, positive or negative, on my chances of getting into a decent law school? In other words, is there any harm in taking the test earlier than normal? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that the normal route is to take the LSAT during your last year in college...but lets say for example that I really like taking standardized tests and decide to take it during my second year in college...will this have any effect, positive or negative, on my chances of getting into a decent law school? In other words, is there any harm in taking the test earlier than normal? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

First I'd say you're on crack for enjoying standardized tests. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Your score is good 3-5 years after you take it, depending on where you apply. As long as it's new enough to be accepted, it'll be weighed the same--no harm done. I'd just check with your top 4 or 5 schools and see how far back they'll accept a score. Make sure you study and get a good score the first time. Even schools who'll take your highest score will see your lower ones (and how many you've canceled).

How many years out of school you are DOES make a difference, as most schools will weigh your GPA less (and thus weigh your LSAT more) the longer you've been out. Sounds like you'd be going straight through, so make sure your GPA is solid as well.

Edit: Princeton Review is giving free practice tests this week, if you just wanted to take a stab at the test for [censored] and giggles.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 AM

Hello Misfire,

Thank you very much for setting up this post.

I'm a junior at Stanford with a fairly strong GPA (3.8+). What kind of score should I be shooting for to get into HYS type of program? Which testing prep service would you recommend (I understand you have a little bit of self-interest in play here)?

Will the schools consider ethnicity at all? I'm listed as Hispanic FWIW.

-Card
Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a junior at Stanford with a fairly strong GPA (3.8+). What kind of score should I be shooting for to get into HYS type of program?

Will the schools consider ethnicity at all? I'm listed as Hispanic FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the law schools at HYS, a 3.8 isn't stellar (about the 25th percentile), but the fact that it's a 3.8 from Stanford is a big plus as most schools will adjust your index # based on what school you went to and what your major was. A mathematics or engineering major with a 3.8 from Stanford will be seen MUCH more favorably than a business or sociology major from Belmont. (I'm stealing all of this from How to Get Into the Top Law Schools by Richard Montauk, BTW.)

Obv you should be shooting as high as you can go on the LSAT. I can't say a 17x will get you in here or there, but I'm gonna take a leap and say if you're not hitting top 2% at least on practice tests, you're probably not ready for those schools. I have heard being hispanic will work in your favor both for admissions and scholarships/grants. Someone recently told me that Stanford was one of the most favorable schools for underrepresented minorities. Has this been your experience as an undergrad?

[ QUOTE ]
Which testing prep service would you recommend (I understand you have a little bit of self-interest in play here)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It only works in my self interest if you come to Nashville and take my classes. That being said, I really like Princeton Review's Hyperlearning course and materials. You get 6 proctored diagnostic exams, 20 3-hours classes, and a metric buttload of homework. Do your research on the teachers, though, because some offices have to take what they can get to make classes run. Be sure you get a pro with a good track-record. Ideally at TPR you'd want a coach who is "master-certified". I'm not quite there yet.

I've also heard lots of praise for PowerScore and Testmasters, but I have no personal experience with them.If TPR isn't available or you're just not comfortable with the instructors, maybe check them out. (I wasn't too impressed with PowerScore's retail books, FWIW, but the classes may be different.)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 AM

Thanks Misfire. That's around what I expected to hear. I am definitely shooting for 170+...however feasible that may be. I believe the bit about Stanford law school being more inclined to seek out underrepresented minorities. I have several friends in the Hispanic pre-law society (I'm not a member) who want to continue here through grad school. Stanford seems to always go out of its way to cater to minority groups.

If I decide to not go top 10, I am sure I could still go to Texas as that is my home state.

BTW, do these pre-law societies and extra-curriculars really have any weight in law-school admissions? What about legacy considerations (I had a cousin that went to Harvard...I am quite sure this doesn't mean shi*).
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do these pre-law societies and extra-curriculars really have any weight in law-school admissions? What about legacy considerations (I had a cousin that went to Harvard...I am quite sure this doesn't mean shi*).

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-law societies don't help much that I know of, except to show that you actually do things extracurricularly. Pre-law and poli-sci majors, paralegals, etc. aren't that impressive (mostly because they're so many of them applying). What makes you stand out?

I'm not sure if cousins count for legacy considerations ( I doubt it), and most law schools only care about legacy if the family memeber went to the law school itself. Call the school.