Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
Where the hell in Europe are people paying 60% tax?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Germany at least 50% of a single male's paycheck goes to taxes. Or so I am told by the few single male Germans I know. I suppose this hold true for single female Germans as well.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 PM

Jay,

Don't most Europeans also say the same thing about German tourists?

The tax thing was tongue-in-cheek about the high tax rates over there compared to the US, no need to get all riled up. Like I said, Europeans in general have a much better attitude towards work/life balance than Americans.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay,

Don't most Europeans also say the same thing about German tourists?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, slightly different though. We view German tourists as annoying OTT, camp guys in shorts that are too short, brights vests and bum-bags (fanny packs).
Old 10-21-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where the hell in Europe are people paying 60% tax?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think we pay like 63% in Denmark, but only if your earn like 60k< a year.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 PM

this should make for a fun thread

I'll add that there's no european identity, only national identities

Hofstede wrote some interesting stuff on the matter (cultural dimensions) and my guess is that most americans don't realise the hudge differences between the individual european countries, even within these countries there's a lot of division (basque country fe)

some european countries resemble the american identity (or vice versa) more than others, but either way there are a lot of differences across the board

I'm sure we'll get a good (useless ldo) fight started on which system is superior
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my guess is that most americans don't realise the hudge differences between the individual european countries

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Because my guess is that most Americans think Europe is a country.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? Because my guess is that most Americans think Europe is a country with the capital called Tokyo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and my guess is that most americans don't realise the hudge differences between the individual european countries, even within these countries there's a lot of division

[/ QUOTE ]

it probably goes the other way too.. in other words most europeans probably lump all americans together because we all live in the same country, but the US is [censored] huge, and different regions of the US are almost like different countries totally.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread should have more heated discussion imo.

Therefore I submit the following:

- Americans are generally more superficial than Europeans. This is reflected in everything from Hollywood movies to celebrity obsession to SUV's to general interest in foreign matters. I find it's reflected on a micro-scale as well. Personal interactions seem to be more shallow in the US.

- The smartest Americans are smarter than the smartest Europeans, but the stupidest Americans are stupider than the stupidest Europeans, and the number of stupid people is far higher than the number of smart people. Whether this is a good, bad or neutral thing I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's a fact.

- Your chicks: Not very hot imo, and you have a [censored] up beauty ideal. Fake-titted blonds covered in 3 kilos of makeup are generally not hot fyi. Oh, that reminds me:

- The metric system is far superior to your retarded pounds, feet, inches and whatnot. Why the hell would you have a system where the units aren't using fixed, easy to calculate, conversion factors? Have fun with Myanmar and Liberia (lol) as the only countries in the world that hasn't adopted the metric system as their primary or sole system of measurement.

- Religion. Two-thirds in the poll said creationism, the idea that God created humans in their present form within the past 10,000 years, is definitely or probably true. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most americans view europe as pretty irrelavent until it is time to go on vacation.

"the number of stupid people is far higher than the number of smart people"....Im assuming you mean this for everywher on earth, because if you assume its different in Europe...hahah...no

chicks: depends. I dont know if you grasp what most americans think is hot if you assume that 3 kilos of makeup is a turn on...becuase its not to most people

Generally Americans don't care about most of Europe, you are pretty irrelavant, especially the northern countries (norway for example), on the flip side, you guys do nothing but bitch about us, which do you think is a better?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread should have more heated discussion imo.

Therefore I submit the following:

- Americans are generally more superficial than Europeans. This is reflected in everything from Hollywood movies to celebrity obsession to SUV's to general interest in foreign matters. I find it's reflected on a micro-scale as well. Personal interactions seem to be more shallow in the US.<font color="red"> -I can only go by my native Norway, and Norwegians are way way more fixated on celebrities than the average (at least mid-west) American. The Americans I meet are usually indifferent to celebrities, while Norwegians tend to be pretty fascinated and interrested in them. When it comes to being superficial Norwegians care a lot more about what people wear, never have I seen people in the US judge other people or care much about the way they dress the way that we do in Norway. </font>

- The smartest Americans are smarter than the smartest Europeans, but the stupidest Americans are stupider than the stupidest Europeans, and the number of stupid people is far higher than the number of smart people. Whether this is a good, bad or neutral thing I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's a fact.<font color="red"> -I havent been to Southern or Eastern-Europe much, but my general feeling is that they have rather poor education and little understanding of the world outside their area. Its not unusual to meet Englishmen who have no idea where Norway is, even though its fairly close to UK. Ive dont think there are more stupid people in US (in %) than Norway, but Americans love to put the stupid people on TV (Like on Jay Leno-show) to expose their stupidity, while in Norway they are kept away from television in order to protect themselves. In Norway there is also great opposition to standarized testing, so we dont expose the gaps in common knowledge like the US does. I know by expeerience that the average high school kid in Norway is far from being as informed about the outer world (both in politics and geography) as we like to think they are. Norwegians are also way more inclined to "be sure" about something they in reality know very little about. I dont know how much stupid crap that have been passed on as "fact" about the US and Americans in Norway, by people who have very limited knowledge about the country and its people. Its pretty embarrassing that we can be exposed to so much American media in Norway and still the Norwegians have a totally wrong understanding of the US. Americans are more likely to admit that they lack knowledge about other countries and cultures, and do not have that "I know this so much better than you"-attitude that you usually find in Norway.</font>

- Your chicks: Not very hot imo, and you have a [censored] up beauty ideal. Fake-titted blonds covered in 3 kilos of makeup are generally not hot fyi.<font color="red"> -Where in the US have you beeen? Most American women are not like the LA-people you see on TV. Scandinavian girls are usually better looking than Americans, but Americans are superior to the Brits, Dutch, Germans, Polaks, Bulgarians and so on. Fake tiits are by no means limited to the US, pretty common in Norway and the rest of Europe to. </font>