Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Is it possible to just develop insomnia?

I think everyone has those days where they are rolling in bed all night and can't sleep no matter what. Lately though it has become more frequent. A friend of mine told me he developed it one day out of nowhere and now sleeps very little during the week.

I don't have a lot of stress although I have been drinking a lot of coffee. I'm wondering if that can lead to permanent insomnia.

However I still find reading Theory of Poker the ultimate sleep aid. Can't read it for more than five minutes before being knocked out cold.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to just develop insomnia?

Insomnia can strike at any time, but there is generally an underlying cause. Caffeine can certainly contribute, as can stress and a variety of physical and emotional disorders. I would cut out the coffee or switch to decaf for a while. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and make certain your sleep environment is completely dark. Do not eat within 2 hours of bed time and eat lightly in the evening - make lunch your main meal. Try to exercise regularly (several times a week) as well. All these things can help. if you still have a problem after all this see your physician.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Insomnia can strike at any time, but there is generally an underlying cause. Caffeine can certainly contribute, as can stress and a variety of physical and emotional disorders. I would cut out the coffee or switch to decaf for a while. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and make certain your sleep environment is completely dark. Do not eat within 2 hours of bed time and eat lightly in the evening - make lunch your main meal. Try to exercise regularly (several times a week) as well. All these things can help. if you still have a problem after all this see your physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i've been thinking of cutting down on the coffee. It's becoming more apparent now because I find a consistent pattern of not falling asleep so easily. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Usually rubbing one out helps me fall asleep if I've been tossing and turning a bit. Sometimes do it even when I think I'll fall asleep without a problem (just trying to make sure).
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 PM

Hit your doctor up for Ambien. It works like a charm with no side effects that I have encountered. I take it about 30 minutes before bed and wake up 6-8 hours later feeling refreshed with no pill hangover (ala xanax)

I once took it by accident while on road and literally had to pull off the side of the interstate and sleep for about 3 hours.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However I still find reading Theory of Poker the ultimate sleep aid. Can't read it for more than five minutes before being knocked out cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true then you don't have insomnia, trust me. I have real insomnia and reading TOP will make me more alert.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hit your doctor up for Ambien.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I once took it by accident while on road

[/ QUOTE ]

how does this happen?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 PM

You know that if you take two ambien it will really [censored] you up. I did that once because they weren't working for me and I was unbelievably wasted. Be warned though, I think it might be able to kill you though.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:57 AM

There are several posts on insomnia and particularly Ambien.

It can work well, but it absolutely has side effects. It is a hypnotic, and with some ppl it seems to act like GHB. I have had numerous 'experiences' with it that I would have had no recollection of if I hadn't had a memory trigger the next morning (or video evidence...!).

jbrent33 please be careful! It is unlikely to kill you itself, but you could easily end up doing something dangerous/reckless.

OP, dr3amer's advice is pretty spot on. Try and get back into a pattern, see a Dr if necessary.

My qualifications: I actually have had permanent insomnia all my adult life.