Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 AM

Default 5NL Pocket 77 vs an unkown, flop OESD.

Hi,

I'm a limit player who is trying to make the transition to no limit after a 2 year hiatus from the game. This is my first NL hand posting since I started playing micro NL about a month ago. Thus far, most of the situations I've found myself in have been really straight forward. But this is a hand I know i misplayed and I'm not really sure of the correct line.

READS: This was my first time playing against villain and had only been at this table for a few orbits. Initial assumption was this player was playing very passively, limping in a lot of pots. I had not witnessed him raise pre-flop until this hand so, not really sure what his range could be.

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $8.14
SB: $8.82
BB: $4.32
UTG: $6.44
UTG+1: $9.44
MP: $10.50
Hero (CO): $10.32

Pre-Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BTN raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.15

<font color="blue">Villain has been limping a lot of pots. Since I have not seen him raise a hand, and since I will have to play the hand OOP, I decide to give him credit for a premium PP and play my hand for set value. Is this a good assumption or, is a reraise in order here? </font>

Flop: ($0.77) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)

<font color="blue">OK, now I have an OESD. What's the best line? If he does have a high PP, do I have FE here to try a semi bluff? What's the best play? Bet, CF, CC, CR?
</font>
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: 5NL Pocket 77 vs an unkown, flop OESD.

Easy check fold. Its not a terrible draw in limit, most you will loose is a few big bets when you hit and villain has a better made hand.

In NL, especially if you are a newbie, stay away the idiot end of straights. You will never win a big pot with a bottom straight. You can never feel too good if you hit your 7 for a set putting a 4 liner to a straight and you have a set. Add that you are out of position, its time to let this dog go.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 AM

Preflop is standard. I wouldn't go far as to say his min-reraise is JJ+, but you are probably behind it nonetheless.

I would check the flop, planning to fold to a reasonable bet. I'm calling if he bets like .10 just to see the turn though. If you are behind you don't have as many outs as it appears I'm thinkin...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 AM

This is obv a poor OESD. you have the sucker end and the board is two flushed. Being that this is 5nl, you have no fold equity if villain has overpair. C/F.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 AM

Most peoples 3-bet ranges are tight at NL5, and the minraise is a usual sign of KK/AA but certainly he could have almost anything. I know I'd bet a bit uneasy on this flop 200BB deep. I'd check-call a small bet (since he minraised PF he might let you see a cheap river too). Since there are only 3 outs that would make me feel comfy with the hand I wouldn't invest that much though.

I know I might get some flack by saying this, but at NL5 I don't like raising small pairs. People like to limp and commit to top-pair, so raising PF just kills the implied odds and there is not much sense in raising for deception.